2. Red Ribbon

They had met in elementary school, in Ms. Tristen's third grade class. She with a red ribbon tied around her neck, and he with an enormous curiosity.

Every day he asked, "Why do you have a red ribbon tied around your throat?" And every day, she'd respond, "I tell no one but the truly love filled."

He was a immature child, she was a mature one. Years past.

In the fifth grade, they were friends enough where he would playfully tug at her ribbon, and she would cough, fix the bow, then laugh at the funny face he would make for her.

Years pass.

In the seventh grade, everyone was curious now. She would still respond with, "I tell no one but the truly love filled." She was such a weird child, everyone said, no wonder she has no friends.

He would always stick up for her, claiming that he and he were the best of friends, and that they were all filled with hatred and jealousy.

Years pass.

In the ninth grade, he didn't bother asking what the red ribbon did. She was private about it, and didn't flaunt it, so he left it alone. He wouldn't risk their friendship for something as petty as a ribbon.

Years pass.

In the eleventh grade, he was mature, she, even more. They laughed at each other's sleepovers and had such a wonderful time together. School was almost over.

On the last day of twelfth grade, he asked her to be his girlfriend. On the last day of twelfth grade, she said yes.

Years pass.

They have the relationship others only dream of. They love each other too much, but its that little extra that sends them spiraling down to marriage.

On her twenty fifth birthday, he asked her to marry him. On her twenty fifth birthday, she said yes.

Years pass.

Things were the best they could've been. She always smiled and he never even looked at the red ribbon.

Now they are eighty. It is his eighty first birthday today, and they had nothing left to give one another. They had all they needed.

So he asked for the one thing that he knew she'd never give. For her to finally tell him what the red ribbon tied around her throat was for.

It was a halfhearted request; he didn't really care anymore, but it was the one thing she hasn't told him. They told each other everything.

The day of his eighty first birthday, he asked for her to take the ribbon off, for her to show her exposed skin. On the day of his eighty first birthday, she did.

"I tell no one but the truly love filled," were her last words as she pulled on the knot, as her head fell off and rolled to the ground, still smiling.