My Parents

Dear Mom and Dad

I know you probably are surprised to find this letter because I usually don't do stuff like this, but I wanted you to know something and thought this may be a good way to talk with you...

I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to the both of you for the kind loving support from my infancy to this age. My very existence, the person I am today, my joys and everything good in my life is as a result of your sacrifices and unconditional support. I know I've not been the perfect child but with your discipline and guidance you've been trying to make me a better person and for that I am grateful.

I have a few things that I wanted to share with the both of you and I think that will help you understand how life has been for me growing up as a teenager. I understand you try your best in raising me, but you don't always get it right. And sometimes you simply aren't on the same wavelength – you're not teenagers anymore so often you forget what it felt like to be one.

Yes, society and technology has come on a long way – but life as a teen is by no means easy. In fact, even though adults endure everything from work problems to debt, no period of your life comes close to being as difficult as your teenage years. Everything is changing both physically and emotionally and yet you are thrust in to the most intense situations of your young life, discovering heartbreak, anxiety, low self esteem and peer pressure along the way.

We are tasked with the huge expectations both the ones set by you the parents, teachers, families, friends and the society in general. While this pressure mounts against you to do well, your body is trolling you. One minute you're angry, the next you're tearful and you just don't know why. Teenagers aren't awkward and confrontational by choice, even if they are treated that way. Our good friend science has proven that mood swings are a biological part of growing up. And then our body too starts to go through the various stages puberty.

And then there's the constant struggle to fit in. The pressures to be part of what is acceptable in the ever changing society according to trends, fashion and lifestyle.

And then we struggle with love and attraction towards other teens. That love is just agony isn't it? The moment we find that one person and nothing else from school to family matters once your heart has decided to launch itself at someone. Longing for someone takes over your life and you think you'll never love someone so intensely again – and you're probably right. When that first relationship breaks down you just want to give up on life.

You get told to act more mature but you still tend to get treated like a kid. While a lot of the mollycoddling is necessary, there is a distinct lack of privacy for teenagers who are desperate to assert and enjoy some independence.

Going through all of these I am grateful for the both of you. Your love and support and approachableness  has been exactly what I need and I couldn't have asked for better parents. I just wanted you to be aware of what life is about to me and hopefully will create a more loving personal and informed relationship between you and me.

With love and gratitude

Your Son

DOZIE