(3)

The sun rose slowly, basking the kitchen in a soft orange and casting long shadows of anything that stood in its path. In the corner of the kitchen, seated on a wooden dining chair, he watched the sun with mild interest.

               Once it had fully risen, he leant back against the chair and began drumming his fingers against the table waiting for his sister. Despite never having a single drumming lesson, he kept the rhythm continuous. He didn’t want to practice drumming since he thought that creating loud noises wasn’t needed. All he needed to satisfy his musical needs was his two index fingers. 

               To him it was one of the rare situations where everyone wins; his family won’t get upset or angry by the noises of when he practices and he won’t have to ever need to gather some courage in asking his father for some money to purchase the kit.

               “Lizzie, if you’re not down in the next two minutes, I’m leaving without you!” He shouted, still continuing the pace of his fingers. Even though he didn’t get a reply, he knew she heard him but doubted that she would hurry up.

               Lizzie ran down the stairs before jumping the last four and landing in a crouch position. She looked up and shouted to the kitchen, “You all ready to go my big bro?”

               “More than a forty year old virgin,” John replied and walked towards her.

               “Don’t say that,” she made a face. “I’m your innocent baby sister for the love of cherubs.”

               “You lost the title of being innocent when I caught you reading Fifty Shades of Grey in your room,” John replied picking up his bag and leaving the house followed shortly by Lizzie.

               “I didn’t even read half of it!” she laughed making John stop walking and raise an eyebrow at her. “Whatever, you should always finish a book no matter how disturbing it is. It’s like you’re with someone and going through the same struggles as them so you become their friend and if you stop reading the book then you’re just abandoning a friend which-”

               John slapped the back of her head making her stop midsentence. “If you don’t stop with that crap then I’m just going to sit on you again,” he smirked and walked out the front door with Lizzie following, rubbing her head gently.

                                                                           *      *      *      *

               Lizzie ran down the hallways, pushing anyone and everyone away from her not caring about the shouts of protest and discontent. “Faster you moron, they’re going to die!” a girl behind Lizzie started pushing her back making their speed increase.

               The pair threw themselves through the double green doors leading to the cafeteria; the line of babbling teenagers stretched from the food counter to the back of the room where Lizzie and her friend stood. Lizzie heard a sigh of annoyance beside her as her companion took in her busy surroundings.

               “Quickly,” Lizzie whispered after scanning the room. They picked up a tray and walked towards a small timid girl standing by herself. “Hello,” Lizzie smiled sweetly as she pushed Penny behind her.

               “Hi,” the girl glanced at Lizzie before returning her gaze back to the floor.

               “What’s your name?” Lizzie asked.