Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Song: Villain by Hedley

~~~

"Mommy!" The little boy screamed as he clung onto Liz's legs. Mommy? Surely this was a mistake. She had never told me she had a son.

Liz picked up the toddler off the ground, bouncing him up and down and peppering his face with kisses. "My baby" She said with a smile that reached her eyes. That smile was so genuine, I missed it. 

"Mommy I missed you. Why you go?" The baby boy said with broken English, holding her face between his small hands, his green eyes pouring into hers. 

"I'm sorry baby. Mommy had to work" Liz explained to the kid. 

"Daddy go too. Don't go again"

"Promise. How about you and Uncle Vic go to your room and Mommy's going to make you pancakes" Liz said, putting the boy down. He grabbed Vic's hand, running down the hall in a flash, cheering. I had to say he was damn adorable. 

I followed Liz into the kitchen, trailing behind trying to keep up with her pace. "So who's that?" I asked softly, watching as she started preparing for the brunch. 

"That's my son Gabe" She replied turning to face me. Her son? She never told me she had a son! This was huge and something I definitely should've known, how could she hide something like that from me? I could tell she sensed distress on my face and decided to relieve me. "Well, technically he's Katherine's, Nick's sister, but he and I were the godparents. Katherine died in labour and so Gabe was left for the two of us. He's always called me mommy; it's really all he knows. And you know what...? He means the world to me" She said turning back towards the stove. 

Gabe came rushing in with Vic following, and sat at the kitchen counter. His long blond hair flopped all over his face, repeatedly being brushed back by his tiny fingers. "Uncle Vic, who that?" Gabe asked pointing towards me, guess that was my cue for an introduction. 

"I'm Harry, I'm your mom's boyfriend" I said, shaking the little boy's hand, but he quickly pulled away. It seemed as if he was quite taken back by the label I had put on myself. 

"No. Mommy don't like you. I don't like you. You not Daddy" He said screaming and running back into the bedroom. I had a feeling he would do something like this. Kids don't like it when they think one of their parents is being replaced, I sure as hell didn't like it. But I had to fix this; Liz loved Gabe so I had to make him love me. 

I ran after him, I had to take a chance and talk to him, make him love me. I walked in the room, sitting alongside him on the edge of the bed. "Hey bud" I said, placing my hand on his back only to be pushed away roughly. I guess he got Liz's hostility. He crossed his arms, pouting so adorably. "Gabe, I really sorry. I love your mommy, and I'll love you too. Just like Daddy did" I tried, but he didn't seem like he wanted to hear this. He didn't seem like he could be persuaded. 

But then again he was still a kid, so I had a good idea, maybe a little treat for him to like me. I rushed out of the room, to mine and Liz's next door. I quickly grabbed the bag of peanut m&m's from my nightstand, and took it back to Gabe. "Hey bud, how about some candy? Hmm? But only if we can be friends?" I offered, opening the bag for him.

"Has no bad stuff?" He asked shyly. What did he mean? God knows what Liz had taught the cute boy...

"Of course not. It's candy. It's really really good" I said in my sweet baby voice. I grabbed one and instinctively he opened his mouth allowing me to feed him. I guess we were already getting off to a good start. He ate the m&m off my hand quickly.