Chapter 2

Harry was sat at his usual spot at the Gryffindor table, alone. He was desperately trying to finish his breakfast so he could rush out of the Great Hall to sneak a smoke in before his first class.

He had just shoveled the last bite of egg into his mouth and he was gathering his things when he felt someone sit in the seat beside him.

He continued to pack his bag, not bothering to look up. It probably wasn't important anyway.

"Potter?" He heard an all too familiar voice say.

Harry looked up, finally, his hair falling into his eyes. "M-Malfoy?" Harry stuttered, desperately pulling his sleeves down and brushing his hair out of his eyes. "Ahem. I-I mean... Malfoy. What do you want?" Harry said, straightening out quickly and putting his walls back up.

"I just- I just wanted to know if you where okay. I know, I know, it's weird for me to say that. You know, I'm a Malfoy and all that bullshit. But I'm genuinely concerned. You- We. We went through a lot in the war, and you don't seem to be you, you know?" Draco managed to say.

"Why d'you think I'm not the same, Malfoy? Think really hard. It might click in that small brain of yours in a while." Harry said, rolling his eyes and began packing his bag again, fuming.

"Potter, please. I just want to talk to you." Draco said, his voice quieter.

"My two best friends fucking died for me, you prat! And you expect me to be okay? You expect me to want to talk to you? You played a huge part in the death of my friends, you know. That's exactly why I don't want to fucking talk about my problems. Who do you think you are, huh? Fucking 'Therapist Malfoy'? Get over yourself." Harry said, grabbing his bag, and rushing out of the Great Hall.

Draco dropped his hands to his sides, and sunk down.

How am I supposed to do this?

--

It was the beginning of term, and all Draco could think about was Harry Potter. He was in almost all of his classes, after all. Draco didn't know when it happened, but it did. Maybe it was when Draco first saw him sitting at the Gryffindor table alone. Or perhaps it was when Draco followed him out of the Great Hall one time, and watched him as he hid behind a tree and pulled out a muggle contraption that made Harry blow smoke out of his mouth. All Draco knew was the Harry Potter was driving him mad.

That's why today in the Great Hall, he tried to talk to him. Which failed, utterly. He had hoped that maybe Potter had seen that Draco had changed drastically, and had finally realized that Draco hadn't been bad at all, just misunderstood.

Draco gave up on that thought as soon as Harry had said anything to him. Draco knew he had to get to him, because if he didn't, it would tear him up. It broke Draco's heart to see Potter, so broken and sad and alone.