Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

THEA TEXTED ME, inviting me for a lunch with her. I arrived at the restaurant five minutes late because our professor dismissed us late due of the accident that happened in the laboratory when my seat mate inadvertently splashed my class mate's eyes with sodium hydroxide, a strong base. The professor gave us a lecture with a glaring fire in her eyes. As a result: late dismissal.

I searched around the restaurant and I found Thea in a corner. But wait, she was with someone... She was with Darryl. Were they two dating?

Darryl saw me before Thea did and he beckoned me at their table. The space on Thea's side was occupied with their bags so I ended up sitting beside Darryl. I tried not to burn my face.

"You're blushing." Thea muttered, leaning her head towards me as she slid the menu.

"No, it's just that I was hurrying." I lied, making myself sound believable.

"Whatever." She said, and I pushed a lopsided smile.

Darryl was a talkative person, a complete opposite of Greg. I found out lately that his surname was Kongyingyong. His father was a Chinese migrant in Thailand and he had a younger sister whose name was Patricia. He lived in a condominium alone near Thea's place. Darryl's Chinese face reminded me of Sean. I wondered where he was now. Sean had been always a good friend and I didn't know what quarrel he had with Greg that he had to move away.

"I bet you are really drunk last night." Darryl said, "I had to lift you up and lay you at the bed."

I felt my cheeks burning again so I kept my eyes averted like chewing was something I could busy myself with. So he was the one who transferred me to bed... I didn't know what I ought to say in response, "I think that was the case." I said, covering my grin through a gulp of juice. "I'm not used to drinking beer and cocktail. I mostly drink liquors with low alcohol content." I said, pushing a smile, in case he noticed it. "By the way, thank you."

"You don't weigh much. It's ok." He replied, showing his teeth with braces. He became ten times cuter when he did it. I did not know how he made it, but he was the only buzz-headed person that I met whose charisma was like of puppies.

"I should consider eating more." I said and he laughed.

"I saw your abs and it's incredible. Just keep on the diet you are having." I had been doing some crunches and weight-lifting lately, because I thought that it was necessary and maybe Greg would be more attracted to me if I had a toned body.

When the desserts were served, I was already full so I gave mine to Thea, but she rejected it saying she was already full, too. Darryl got it from my hand without waiting me to give it to him. I smiled and shook my head. He was a little childish and that made his action less offensive. He actually looked handsome.

"What?" He peeked through the bowl of ice cream and gave me that cutest smile again. "Don't stare at me like that." And then he went back in emptying the bowl.

The next evening, Saturday and there was nothing I could hear but the drops of the rain dripping off the roof and the thunderstorms. It was the first rain in this year, probably signing the end of winter and start of spring.

Luckily, I was done with all my before-bed routines before the electricity supply was cut. Ok, this was totally creepy. I hid myself under the comforter.

Jeez, I looked at my door and I left it open. Close it! Close it! My mind yelled so I tiptoed towards the door and forcefully pushed it. And then banged with it was a thunder that made me jump high, literally high I was inch away from the ceiling.