Meet Danny

All his life, Danny had loved a girl called Ashley.
When he was 8, Ashley moved to his street.
Age 15, he asked her out for the first time.
Age 17, they broke up for 2 months.
Age 18, they were both accepted into NYU.
Age 21, Danny graduated early and joined the police academy.
Age 22, Danny proposed to Ashley.
Age 23, Ashley gave birth to a baby girl and they named her Erin. 
6 months later, Ashley passed away from cancer.  

Shortly after graduating the academy, Danny was requested to work with the homicide department. Looking after a 12 month old and working in shifts was hard work, but he managed it with the help of his and Ashley's parents as well as his sister Sophie. 

One morning, on his way to the precinct, he stopped off for his normal breakfast at a diner about halfway between his apartment and work.  He ordered his usual to take out and was just leaving when someone bumped into him.
"Oh, crap, I'm so sorry," he heard a girl with an accent say.
"No, it's my fault. I should have looked where I was going," Danny said, his inner gentleman showing.
"Let me get you another coffee then," the girl replied.
"Honestly, it's fine. I need to buy a new suit anyway."   
 "Let me buy you dinner then," she tried. He was still trying to place her accent. "Your choice."
He took a moment to think. "I'm not a restaurant person,"he said responded.

 "Well, in that case," she interrupted "I'll cook something. Only if you want to come, that is. I'm Maddie." She stuck out her hand.
"Danny," he replied. "Actually, come round to mine. It was my fault anyway."
They exchanged details and Danny left to go to work. This would be his first date in over a year.