Chapter 4: the interview

I shot up in my bed, startled. I think I was having a nightmare. I got up from bed and went to the bathroom. I stayed in there for a long time. I thought about the tribute parade last night. Some of the tributes looked really scary, expecially district 12's Rodrick. I did not want to come in contact with him in the Games. He would probably kill me right at the spot. Then I heard at knock at the door. It was Carol. "Rise and shine, Chloe!" Carol called. "It's a big day! Today's the interview!"I got up from the toilet and washed my hands. I came out of the bathroom and followed her to the dining car. Paul and Katie were there, sitting at the table. "Good morning," Cory said to me. "Kaleb is already up. We're having eggs for breakfast." I sat down beside Kaleb and hugged him. Kaleb seemed surprised, because his eyes widened. "What's the matter, Chloe?" Kaleb asked, pulling away from me. "I don't want to go to the arena," I cried. "I'm not a good survivor. I'll probably die as soon as I hear the bang. You know that I faint at the sight of blood. Then somebody will kill me when I faint. I'm pointless." "Chloe, actually, when you faint hat the sight of blood, people will think you are dead. If you lay there still enough and not move, they won't kill you. But if you even make one small move, they will surely stab you." "Really Cory?" I asked sarcastically. "You actually think fainting at the sight of blood will help me survive?" I know so, Chloe." He assured me. Then Katie came in and set down the eggs. I grabbed everything that I could, because the food was so delicous! I was already on my second plate and Kaleb hadn't even finished his first. "Chloe, don't eat too much," Cory said. "The interviews are today, and we want to be just right. You don't want to be sick for the arena." "You sound exactly like my mother," I said. "My mom always told me that." "Well your mother is right, Chloe," Cory argued. "You want to save some food for the others." I got up from the table. "Fine. If you want me to not eat, then I won't. I'm going to have a shower." I stomped down to my room and slammed the door. I pulled off my nightgown and turned off the tap. I didn't care what Cory or the others thought about sharing food. Back at home, I always got a lot of food. I sometimes even had fourths! But mom always said, "Chloe, don't eat too much. We're going out to swim at the lake in the forest, and you need to be just right. You don't want to be sick for swimming." Anyway, I rinsed my hair and put on shampoo. I missed my mother. I wish I could be back home with her, watching the Hunger Games. Not competing in the Games!

"Welcome to the 1st Hunger Games!" The announcer yelled. Today was the day. It was the interviews! Me and Kaleb were waiting back stage to go on. I would go last, and Kaleb would go first. I tied the strap on my dress, and Kaleb tied on his tie. "And for the finishing touch, your necklaces," Carol said. She put mine on and adjusted the charm. The heart sparkled in the light. I twirled around in my dress one more time. Water sprayed around me. "Oh Paul, it's beautiful. I can't stop twirling around in it." I gushed. "I can't stop saying how beautiful you two are," Katie told us. "You're one of a kind." I smiled at her. "Rory, District 6!" The announcer said. "Almost time, Kaleb,"Carol told him. "Good luck." Kaleb walked nearer to the stage. The announcer called out, "Kaleb Marksborough, district 7!" Kaleb walked out, and they talked for a while. Then Kaleb came back in. "It's your turn, Chloe," he said, grabbing my arm. "Good luck. "I love you." "I love you too," I say. I walked out onto the stage, my dress dragging along. "Chloe Marksborough, District 7!" "Hello, Chloe!" The announcer said. "Welcome!" "Hello, Capitol!" I say cheerfully. I waved and smiled. One thing that I'm good at is that I'm not scared when I talk in front of a large crowd. I like to be myself in front of people I don't know. Even though President Snow was watching, I still wanted to be myself before I die. It's a good thing that if you do something that you love before you die, it'll probably be your last words.  Anyway, the announcer asks me a few questions. "That was a very good welcome, Chloe!" He says. "Can you say that welcome again? By the way, my name is Alex." "Well then, Alex, Hello Capitol!" I say to him. "Oh, great great great!" Alex said. "Alex," I start to say. Why'd you pick me for the first Hunger Games, instead of.. you know, someone else from another district? Just to be honest." "I like your honesty, Chloe," Alex told me. "But I can't really say why we picked you. It's not your fault, or Carol's. She just picked a random name from the glass bowl. It's just the way it is." I looked at the crowd. They did a wild cheer. I was getting a little nervous. What else could I say? I thought for a second. I thought about Cory, and the way that I faint at the sight of blood. Maybe I shouldn't say that, because then that'll give the tributes an easier chance to plan on how they're going to kill me. But, it's just an interview, right? It can't be that bad. So, of course, I say it. "So, Alex," I said. "I have a secret that I would like to share with you." "Oh, really?" Alex asked, startled. "Don't you want to share it with the rest of the crowd?" "Oh, I couldn't.." But then the crowd all did their best puppy-dog eyes. "Oh all right," I sighed. "Great! Go ahead, Chloe." "So, Alex," I said. "I faint at the sight of blood. Have any tips to not faint?" Then the crowd went silent. "Uh.. Did I say something wrong?" I asked, looking around the crowd nervously. "N..no," Alex stammered. "It's just y..you won't have a good chance of winning." "I know," I said reassuringly. "But my mentor Cory did give a few pointers, though." "Would you like to share them with us?" He asks gesturing to the crowd. They all nodded their heads. "Ok!" I said cheerfully. "Chloe, you're full of it tonight!" Alex said. "Well, thank you!" I greeted. "Does your dress have any special hidden things in it?" Alex asked. I knew he was going to say that. "It's beautiful!" "Thanks," I said. "Well, it does have something special." Then I twirled around and water sprayed everywhere. "Oh, Chloe!" Alex was stunned. He loved it! "Do it again!" So I kept on twirling and twirling and twirling until I got dizzy. "Okay, I need to sit down," I said. Alex laughed. "Alright, Chloe." "you're the girl on water!" Alex joked. "Okay, whatever," I said sarcastically. "Okay, Chloe," Alex said. "We got to get in the other tributes. Good luck. My only advice is, survive out there!" Then the crowd cheered and I walked of stage. I met Kaleb and the rest of the crew. "You did great," Cory said. "Good dramatic entrance. I think people will sponsor you." "What do you mean by sponsor?" I asked. "Well, say you're dying in the Games. Say you have no water, no food, and you have a deep cut. You'll need medicine. Sponsors donate money to the mentor, so he can fly you down some items that you need. The item floss down attached to a parachute, and it lands where you are." "So I have to make people like me and get sponsors?" I asked. This is going to be one hard competition alright.