Chapter 8

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I leaned back, letting out a yawn as I struggled to wake up. "Em?" I asked, pulling off the comforter. I looked around my room, finding her bed pristinely made and tucked under my own. I stepped down, standing up as I looked out the window, trying to gage the time. I came up with late morning. 

I stumbled into the hallway, running my hand through my hair which stuck up in all directions. Last night had been a good sleep, one heavy, dreamless sleep. I pushed open the door to my father's office, stumbling in. 

My father sat at his desk, Emma leaning over the desk next to him, Nick on the other side. They all glanced up, a slight blush on my cheeks. "Morning sleeping beauty" Emma grinned, my father cracking a smile. 

"What are you all doing up so early? And without me?" I asked, running my hand over my hair as I tried to smooth it down. It failed, my hair unable to be tamed before a shower. 

"Son, the fact that you don't know what we're doing is why you weren't invited" Dad chuckled, Emma smirking as she wrote something down on the notepad in front of her. I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest as I waited for further clarification. "Tonight's your mother's memorial ball that we have every year, that you forget about every year" 

I slapped my hand to my face, feeling like a complete jackass. I knew the anniversary of my mother's death was coming, there was no way I could miss it. Every year it resulted in an awful nightmare, flashbacks, and a panic attack. But every year the ball snuck up on me. "Crap" I groaned, running my hand over my face. 

"Don't worry, we've got it all covered" Nick sent me a glare, and I frowned at him in response. I still hadn't forgot the harsh things that he had said about me to Emma the first night we had met. His hesitancy towards me hasn't lessened, those piercing blue eyes sending me glares before looking lovingly at Emma. I had done some digging and found that they weren't dating, nor had they ever been. So I guess Emma had friend zoned him? I had a hard time piecing it together. 

"Our suits are being picked up now so you won't have to worry about finding one" my father hummed, bringing something to Emma's attention. She nodded, scribbling something else down on her notepad. 

"Okay, so you guys are going over security details? Because it's a little late to make a guest list" I joked, earning no laughs. I frowned, figuring that everyone was just stressed, because let's face it, my jokes are hilarious. 

"Yes, Fletcher. We've had the guest list, caters, evening plan, invitation and everything else done for months. Nick, Emma and I were just going over some last minute security things" my father explained as I inched forward, peeking over at the blueprint of our ballroom. I hadn't been in there for ages, seeing as it was only really used for my mother's memorial ball and using it for anything else felt weird. 

"So, sweetheart, you're wearing a suit?" I joked, Emma glancing up. 

"No, actually I'm wearing a gown" she responded, my jaw going slack at the thought of her in a gown. She chuckled, shaking her head. "If things go well tonight, none of the guards will have to take action."

"And we want Emma to be uncover, just incase someone from the gang does try to infiltrate the event. So Emma will be going as your date" my father informed me, my heart stuttering as butterflies filled my stomach. 

"Sounds great" I breathed, ignoring the hateful stare I was getting from Nick. "So, what do we do now?" I asked as Emma and Nick stood up, walking towards the door. 

"Nick and I are going to go help set up and inform our squad on the plans. You, bud, will go take a shower and finish your english assignment" Emma informed me, pausing in front of me. She licked her thumb, scrubbing my chin. "You had some dried drool" she winked before her and Nick walked out of the room.