Chapter 6

I came downstairs to see Officer Coleman watching the news from the kitchen table. A blond reporter was holding a microphone on the TV. 

"An anonymus call was received two nights ago at the police station saying that they had sighted a body in the forest. The caller then hung up and police have been looking for the body. Earlier last night, they came across a mangled body in a dug up ditch and are now investigating in the crime. We have Sheriff Reinhart here to give us more details."

She handed the mic over to a short plump man in a police uniform. "Yeah. Looks like the body was attacked by an animal. There're bite marks all over the body. The person is still unidentified. It's hard to tell due to the lack of flesh on the body. But we have come to a conclusion that a zombie is on the loose here in Holdenburg. Lock up your doors and get your weapons out folks. That is all the information we can give you right now."

A fake smile was plastered on the woman's face. "Thank you sir. Well, there you have it folks. The town is being put on zombie alert. Be aware and stay safe."

Officer Coleman turned off the TV.

"What did I tell you kid?" he asked. 

My mouth dropped open. "Okay I will admit that I did eat that body, but I buried it! It was under the flat ground. Someone must have dug it up!"

"Try telling that to Mr. Parshall and the rest of the coven."

I shook my head in astonishment. "You believe me, right?"

He didn't reply. Full of anger and rage, I stormed out of the house and went to school. 

I realized that people were actually taking the zombie thing seriously. When I walked in, a whole team of security officers guarded the front door and asked for school ID's. In every class period, teachers locked the door so that no one could get it... or out for that matter. 

I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw a gun behind the teacher's desk.

"Okay since of the alert, I'm just going to let you guys talk the whole period."

The class cheered. While people constantly chattered, I sat there in misery. I would die. I was here for not even a whole week, and it was already getting complicated. It was going to be one long month.

"Hey," Greg said as he slid into the desk next to me.

"Hi," I sighed putting my forehead against the cool desk. 

"Are you coming over today?" he asked with a tint of hope.

"I don't think that's the best thing to do," I told him.

"Why not? Don't you want to be safe from the zombie killer in my high tech security house?" he asked with a wide grin spread across his face. 

"I thought you didn't believe in the zombie crap," I mumbled. 

"Oh I don't," he started. "I'm just trying to get you to come home with me."

I winced. "That sounds dirty."

"I didn't mean it like that. I just really want to hang out with you."

"I guess I'll go," I told him laughing. He raised an eyebrow. 

"You're cute when you're desperate," I said. 

"This is not your house," I exclaimed  as Greg led me to an oversized mansion on a hill. An iron gate was fenced in and from what I could see between the chunky bars, there was a long driveway. The house was at least three times bigger than my house, and trust me, houses were pretty big back in the 1800's.