A Decision

Her hands were numb. Xavier pointed at his chest, covered in padding, and raised an eyebrow "You haven't knocked me down yet."

Gwen curled her hand into a fist once more, wincing at the soreness in her fingers. Xavier caught her hand before she hit him.

"Gwen, come on." he uncurled her fingers to rescue her thumb, which she surely would have broken had Xavier not caught her error. "This is baby stuff."

"I'm sorry, I'm just..." she sighed.

"Listen, Gwen, I know you're distracted." He lifted her chin. "I know there's a lot going on. I get it. But this is important for you to learn."

"God, Xavier, no, you don't get it." Gwen extracted her hand from his. "You don't get it at all."

"OK. OK." Xavier removed the padding and sat down in the dust. "We can be done if you talk to me."

"Xavier--" Gwen's face scrunched in frustration. She sighed. In a softer tone, she continued, "You have to get out of here. God, Xavier, don't you understand? The General wants you dead. You and Frost. He killed my brother, and Finn, and I think he killed Isabelle, too. You can't stay here and let him kill you." She didn't say her hand might be the General's instrument.

"Oh, Gwen." The corner of Xavier's mouth turned up, but he was looking at the ground, doodling in the dust with a finger. "Gwen, we've talked about that. It's just we... we can't leave you here. Frost and I have talked it over, and we just... can't."

"Oh."

Gwen had no response.

She didn't want to question Xavier. He was blushing.

But she didn't understand why anyone would stay in camp for her.

She was no extravagant beauty, and not at all lovable.

"Gwen, listen." Xavier finally looked up at her from the dirt. "You saved our lives. You saved mine twice. We can't leave you here knowing that you could be the next target. Gwen, Steele was your brother, and the General hates you anyway."

"The General doesn't hate me. He--" Gwen blushed. When Xavier saw her blush, he gawked at her.

"Gwen, if he touched you--" Xavier got to his feet. "If he even tried--"

"He asked me to kill you. That, or become his--I dunno--personal whore. Or he'll kill me."

Xavier looked pained. His hand shook, and he struggled to keep his voice low. His voice was uneven. "We can all leave. All three of us. My sister lives in Tierst. We can go there, she can give us somewhere to rest. We can get out of here! Just the three of us. You, and me, and, and Frost, we can just go. There's nothing to lose."

Gwen balked. "Xavier, they need me here."

"You are an incredible healer, Gwen." Xavier's face softened. "But they'll make do without you. I promise."

Xavier ran a hand through his hair, waiting for her reaction.

She sighed, letting the air vibrate her lips. "OK." She smiled. "OK. I'll tell Frost."