Chapter 1 - Taylor

My name is Taylor Elizabeth Johnson.

I just lost my whole group. Now I am devastated and alone. My group got attacked by walkers while I was hunting.

Taylor's POV

I lurked in the woods, hunting for squirrels. I got on my knees to search for tracks. I heard a twig snap causing me to immediately raise my crossbow. I saw nothing. I began to carefully look around. I turned to my left to see two men.

One of the men held a crossbow and the other held a shotgun. I stepped back, tightening my grip on my crossbow. The one with the crossbow has five or six squirrels on his back. He and I both glare at each other. "What's your name?" The man asks.

I gave him a cold stare and responded,"Taylor, Taylor Johnson, what your's?"

The man with the crossbow says, "Daryl, Daryl Dixon."

Daryl was an older man. He wasn't too old, but he was a little older than I was. He was somewhat attractive, but I didn't have time for relationships.

I look at the man with the gun waiting for him to introduce himself,"My name is Shane Walsh," he replies with no emotion, whatsoever.

Shane was also somewhat attractive, but I wasn't here to have romance. I was here to survive.

"Do you have a group?" Shane asked.

"No, they got attacked when I was hunting, they're all gone." I replied.

I looked at Daryl and Shane and knew I liked Daryl already because of his weapon of choice.

I glanced at them both,"Wanna come hunting with me?"

Shane nodded and Daryl looked skeptical, "I don't know, I usually hunt alone."

I looked back at Daryl,"So do I, but I gotta prove that I can shoot better than you."

"Okay, you're on!" Daryl cheered.

We all walked for a little bit and then I spotted a squirrel on a branch. I raised my hand to single for them to pause and I immediately shot the squirrel right in the head. I turned and cocked an eyebrow at Daryl and Shane. They seemed very surprised,"What? Didn't think I had skills?"

"Yes- I mean you're just better than I expected," Daryl said scratching the back of his head.

"What about you, Shane? You're a bit quiet." I said shooting another arrow.

"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking, and anyway the crossbow is not my area of expertise. I agree though, you were better than I expected." He said a little unfocused.

I stared at him for a second before going arrow and the squirrel I shot,"What's on your mind?"

"Well, I just have one question. Are you doing okay without your group? I mean I know it's kind of personal, but I just want to know," he said shying away from his question. "Having you with our group would do both of us good," he added.

I looked at him. "How so?" I asked, saying the words slowly and carefully.

Shane paused a moment,"Well with you and Daryl in our group we can double on the amount of food we get from you and him hunting. It would do you good, because you wouldn't be alone. People would watch your back, and you could join in and stay with us. So that you know people that you can count on. You could have some friends too," he explained.

I thought about it for a minute,"And to answer your question, as devastating as it was, I had to realize that this was going to happen and it doesn't always end in a happy ending. It's made me realize that I can't get close to anyone unless I want to be hurt."

Shane looked at me with sympathy and nodded. Daryl stood quietly, also nodding.