The Surprise

Juliette's POV

I'm in a meeting with the Supreme's who've joined us. We always have a weekly meeting where Castle informs everyone about how his project on bringing back plants and animals in order to restore the atmosphere been going.

He says that within 5 years grass and trees will grow back. 2 years more and Earth's vegetation will become diverse enough for animals to live. For birds to fly. I can't wait! Birds!

One thing makes me anxious though. Aaron isn't here. It's been half an hour. Aaron is never late. Why isn't he here? Why is there a terrible voice in my head that's going through a list of terrible things that could have happened?

He's sick. He's injured. He's met a horrible accident and is d- Delalieu walks in. Bows.

"Unfortunately Supreme Commander Warner will not be able to attend today's meeting due to other occupation's. He is well, and I assure that he shall return shortly."

Oh well. I'll see him soon enough.

A week later

Ever since that day Aaron has been acting... different. He attends the meetings but whenever I confront him about last week he waves it off saying that he had some other work to do.

As of now I'm lying down in our bed waiting for him to return. There's a knock on the door. I stand up and open it to find Kenji standing there. I grin at the sight of my best friend. But my grin falters immediately when I see his expression. He's panicking.

"J, I need you to come with me" he says grabbing my hand and drags me down the hall.

"Why? What happened? Is Warner okay?!" I start to panic. Is someone injured or hurt? Are we under attack?

"J, I need you to calm down. You'll find out in a moment. Just come with me" I will myself to walk out of the elevator and sit in the tank Kenji leads me to.

After the 5 most torturous minutes of my life Kenji stops in front of an abandoned building on unregulated grounds.

"I need you to go into that building"

"But wha-"

"You'll find out once you get in" and for the first time this evening he smiles. Weird. I think. At first he was acting as as if the world had turned upside down and now he's smiling.

I hesitantly turn around and walk to the building and open the door.