1 - Reunion

*Photo is Annabelle*

The wind blew in flurries around me, sweeping my long hair about as unrestrained tears dribbled down my cheeks. I looked down at the small bundle of peonies I clung so closely to my overcoat, using a free hand to ruffle up the fragile, white petals. A hand rested on my shoulder, and I quickly wiped away what tears there were to look back into the aquatic eyes of my brother. I returned his smile, noting the light purple shade of bags under his eyes and the disheveled, black hair. Grant was my twin, the one who I was closest to, and the one who was there to calm me down when I'd been waking up screaming.

It'd been happening all week, and I hated myself for putting him through it.

I looked down to the grave, noting the roses Jared had probably left earlier. He never wanted to join us in these events. Jared had felt like he'd betrayed her, like he was too weak to protect her-- and now he barely trusts himself with us. Just before setting the flowers atop her grave, I read the small carving made into the tombstone.

Leila Crane. October 2nd, 1992 - November 23rd, 2011.

It angered me that she was only known to this small town-- that the next residents that come around only see some words on an old piece of stone. Leila was more than that to me. She was the loving sister that always came to help when I needed her, the one who went out and bought heaps of junk food so we could bake when I was upset. She was everything to me, and now she was gone.

"Bellie." Grant turned me around and engulfed me in his embrace, refusing to let me go. My fists clenched and unclenched, angry tears drooping down my pained expression. I openly sobbed, caving in and wrapping my arms around him.

"Grantie," I muttered back, mocking the nickname my family had given me. The name they'd called me by since mom and dad were still around. Grant released me, and I linked my arm through his before we walked to the car.

Our car was a worn down truck. The one that Jared had used when he transported mulch for some lawn work company. They grey paint was imperfect and rusted, and the car always held the strong musk of vanilla scented car freshener and mold from freshly cut wood-- and the best way to explain the survival of it was saying that it was an acquired scent.

I climbed into the passenger seat, finding a small bit of comfort in the ancient, plush seats, then buckled myself in before Grant went on to driving.

We'd stopped at a small café, and I was just happy the puffiness had died down in my cheeks from crying so much. I didn't need people seeing me like that, it only brought pity. My hands curled around the cup of hot chocolate, the heat radiating from the warm drink soothing down the goosebumps the chilled winter air had brought on. The snow had melted through my Converse, so Grant insisted that he had to drive off and buy me a new pair of socks. I looked down at the poor, black fabric of my well-used shoes. The winters were tough on them, and I cutrly reminded myself to stick to boots more often.

"Annabelle Crane?" The voice was hoarse and distinct, the recognition crossing me bringing me to freeze in amazement. I turned to confirm my suspicions, looking up at the warm, calculating expression of Nathan DeFranco.

His brown hair was so utterly perfect, and he had this look that always had me staring, trying to figure out how someone so seemingly friendly cold look so cold at the same time. He brought up his lightly tanned hand, brushing it over the scruff on his chin before adjusting his black leather jacket onto him more securely.

"C- Call me Annie," I stuttered, the mishap bringing my cheeks to heat up with a light blush. He only smiled, gesturing to the open seat across me, vacated by Grant. I nodded, and subtly questioned my sanity as he sat down across from me. I watched his brown eyes look around, my other senses blurring out as I registered his presence.