4-Quidditch Trials

A few days later, Halley was sitting sandwiched between James and Sephy at the Gryffindor table, along with Peter. It was dinnertime, and the reason why Halley was feeling so sandwiched was because that evening, the Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts were taking place.

"I will hex you, Derwent, if you don't come tonight" Sephy threatened.

"Hex me, then" Halley pouted. "Orson will want to play his last year, and I'm not going to attempt to sabotage his chances."

James then positioned his wand almost lazily underneath Halley's chin.

"Last chance" he warned. Halley shook her head and refused to budge.

"Langlock" James said simply.

At that point, Remus, Samantha and Sirius bustled in, Samantha with an armful of books, Sirius with a satchel slung over his shoulder, and Remus with suspiciously pinkish fingers.

"What happened to you?" Sephy asked the young werewolf, who bit his lip awkwardly.

"Acromantula blood" he sighed. "Bit tricky to strain."

"Persuaded Halley to try out for Quidditch yet?" Sirius asked James, as Halley, now with her tongue glued firmly to the roof of her mouth by James's langlock hex, glared murderously at them all.

"Take that as a no" Remus laughed, as Halley narrowed her eyes into slits and pouted.

"It's a good thing we decided to get everything from Slughorn, in the end" Samantha sighed, dumping her books down beside her as she sat. "It's a lot less stressful having everything to hand."

"And we did only take the bare minimum" Sephy agreed.

"Let's hope Slughorn doesn't work out what we're up to" James sighed, smirking at Halley, still hexed.

"It's Slughorn" Sirius laughed. "When does he ever notice anything?"

"True" Samantha sighed, looking a little happier and tucking into a helping of shepherd's pie "When's Quidditch tryouts tonight?"

"Six" Sephy replied, through a mouthful of lasagne she had just piled onto her plate.

"Halley, you should go try out" Sirius tried to reason with the still-stuck-silent girl. She looked petulantly at him, but he carried on regardless.

"It'll be good for Gryffindor to have a new Keeper. Orson's tactics are getting a bit worn thin. People aren't as scared of him anymore. Anyway, you might not even get in..."

"Pffft!" James scoffed, flapping a forkful of carrots at his best friend. "Halley Derwent not get on the Quidditch team? Sirius, you're mad!"

"She is very good..."Remus put in, agreeing with James.

"Yeah" Sephy added. "Remember that time we were all over at James's for Easter, and we entered that local tournament? Smashed their heads in, we did. Halley didn't let in a single goal. From anyone. Even that retired guy from the Chudley Cannons had a crack at her. Nobody can get a Quaffle past Halley Derwent!"

Halley was blushing now despite the Langlock hex, and as Remus muttered the counter-curse much to James's annoyance she quickly brushed off all of Sephy's proclamations.

"They were all really bad teams, Seph. Like, really bad-"

"Like a team full of me's bad" Samantha chipped in helpfully, to chuckles from around the table. Samantha's strengths certainly were not on a broomstick, and in their friendly Easter Quidditch games that fault had come rather spectacularly to light (They had essentially been playing with two Chasers).