The Confession: Nico

Percy woke Jason and I early in the morning, which really wasn't the best of ideas.

I'm not a morning person - if I wake up early in the morning, I'm really snappy and rude. Most people would back away from me when I'm like that - the only people who are brave enough to stand up to me in that kind've situation were Jason, Percy...and Reyna.

I sat up quickly, which hurt like HELL. I must've broken something because my ribcage felt like it was being slowly dissolved by acid. Normally I heal fast, but apparently not this time. So, I sat up and I was welcomed by the strong scent of venison meat.

"Where did you get that?" I asked Percy, who was carving the meat.

"Reyna and the others brought it with them," he answered shortly. "This is packed full of energy, and right now we're gonna need every bit of it, if we're gonna get to the South Summit."

He carved a piece off and handed it over to me. "Eat up, pal."

I took the meat and bit into the tough meat. I haven't tried venison before, but MAN I could have it every day now - it was so strong in the protein and it tasted like the food of the gods. I was half way through eating it all until I remembered to breathe.

Jason was sipping the now cold coffee we had between us. He grimaced at the cold taste but didn't say anything. "We'll head out in ten minutes. I'll stand outside and keep watch." With that note, he stepped outside.

I was left inside the snow cave with Percy. I didn't mean to, but I watched him get his stuff ready and I noticed that he didn't move his left arm much. Every time he moved it slightly, he would grimace like he was on the verge of yelping. He kept it inside his jacket pocket mostly.

"You alright?" I asked, worrying about him. "You're not moving your arm that much."

He looked at me and his left arm. "When I grabbed hold of Aaron, uh...his weight was too much for arm to bare - it tore my humerus; which is the main muscle in the arm. Also, it may have fractured the bone underneath as well but I can't tell for certain. The pain is annoying, but I can manage that easily."

I respected him for telling me the truth, though it must've been hard for him because he raised the subject of Aaron. It must be killing him to remember the Bailey guy slipping from his grasp; he hates it when his friends die. "I'm sorry about Aaron."

Percy nodded, his face a portrate of pain. "I gonna have to go to Birmingham after this - just so I can tell his girlfriend and family. Just can't believe Aaz is gone."

"Aaz?" I frowned.

Percy chuckled softly. "His nickname," he answered.

"Oh."

Jason poked his head through the snow cave entrance. "We should get going."

Percy and I nodded. We grabbed our gear and headed out. 

Percy struggled getting his backpack onto his back - he couldn't lift his left arm enough, because every time he did he winced. So I helped him out; I carefully placed his left arm through the straps and then placed it on his back. He looked at me gratefully.

It sure did feel weird here on Everest. Normally, my Underworld senses wouldn't help me on mountains but it felt different here. My senses went off the charts because this mountain was so routed into the earth that I could feel the Undeworld all around me. Strange.

We came up to the bottom of what climbers call the Balcony - a roped off ledge leading all the way to the top of the Hillary Step. As I gazed up, I am reminded of how high the mountain is - over twenty nine thousand feet, jeez!