Nicknames

Rose stood firm on her decision. She decided to resolutely stay contented in her seat and let him suck his pride. It was his fault anyways.

 Today for her was another ordinary day, like any other school activity. She nonchalantly played with her pens, not listening to any sermons given by the guest speaker, who relentlessly talked about life and its relevance to death and whatsoever. It was just the same topic as last year’s batch recollection.

 Rose glanced sideward, only to find a pair of grey eyes staring at her with utmost affection and concern. Smiling wryly, she looked away, feeling crossed upon remembering the reason why she made her resolution to not speak to him.

“Hey, Rose!” called Zach, her, sort of, boyfriend.

 “I’m stressed right now,” grumbled Rose, who was carrying a heavy sack on her arms and a bag on her shoulders.

 “Lemme help you,” he offered his hand and aided her by taking her weighty school bag, placing it to his other shoulder to balance it with his own bag. “Do you have to really do all of this?”

 She looked at him and found concern in his sincere eyes. Sheepishly smiling, she replied, “Yes, I have to help my friend with the decorations for the sport’s fest.”

 They reached their destination and dropped their entire load to the floor. A girl, together with her group of chummy friends, approached them with all smiles.

 “Heey Zach! How are you?” she beamed at him before turning to Rose, “Oh, hey Rosie! How’s it going?”

 But before Rose could reply, Amy turned to Zach again and said, “You didn’t tell me you’re into decorating! I mean, hello? I don’t see any creativity in you.”

 They all laughed merrily, except for Rose, who remained stoic and poker faced at that moment. She was too occupied to take this matter seriously since she has more duties to tackle. Although she could feel her gut being poked by a cold metal, as she watched them enjoy each other’s presence.

 Rose audibly sighed and waited for their too lively chat to come to an end.

 “I know right!!” Amy giggled, playfully slapping Zach’s shoulder. “Oh! I forgot! We have to go now.”

 “So soon?” said Zach, smiling to all the other girls behind Amy.

 “Like yeah! We have to practice our cheer dance. Don’t want to mess up on the opening day, right?”

 “Totally!” said a girl from behind.

 Irately, Rose grunted as she rolled her eyes.

 “Gotta go, bye bye my Zachy!”  Giggling once more, she dashed off to the exit with her group of silly friends.

 “Bye bye, Amy-boo boos!” Zach chuckled, enjoying every minute of his popularity.

 “Ditzy-boo,” muttered Rose under her breath. “Are you done yet?”

 “Am I sensing that someone’s jealous?” Zach smirked down to his girlfriend, who seemed to have shrunken, or was it just because he grew taller by inches? It doesn’t matter for him. At least now, he doesn’t have to worry of them having the same height as before.

 “No,” said Rose, pushing him away. “It was just annoying, with all your nicknames and stuff.”

 “So my little red tomato misses her nickname?” cooed Zach, trying to bear hug her.