Chapter 8

Alex Blue

It's a Sunday morning and the first week of school has been a success, except for all the homework I have gotten. Either way, I have been getting closer to Vanessa, Grace and Alina. Yesterday, we went out shopping for me to get new clothes. It was hard since they all have different taste in fashion.

Grace has a girl-next-door style. With her simplicity and cuteness she wears whatever that seems to make her happy and comfortable even though it's not involving the latest trends. I think I may share the same style as Grace. Vanessa was very simple and modern. She preferred the boyish look, typically wearing jeans with a graphic tee or button-up. She may wear a pair of flat shoes too. Alina has a very grunge look, with a boy band t-shirt and oversized flannel shirt, ripped black jeans and converse. She often applied thick eyeliner and often messes her hair a bit on propose to give it more volume. Anyway, in the end we eventually compromised and came to an agreement.

These girls have different styles which I loved, even jessie's, with her girly look. I remembered how she always had to drag me to the mall to go shopping (To specify it was for her benefit so she could go out shopping).

I decided to wear ripped blue jeans and a simple white tank top along with my hoodie I had taken with me from Oklahoma. I ran downstairs towards the front door, but managed to peek through the kitchen door, seeing granny at the kitchen table, her gaze focused at the window. "Hey." I softly called and she turned her head, surprised. "Oh, hey sweetie," She said with a fragile voice.

I observed her. Granny's shoulder were noticeably hung down and she rested her weary head on her hand as she zipped her tea. I know she was old, but I had never seen her this depressed and withdrawn. I walked and took a seat opposite from her. I took her warm hand and lightly caressed it in comfort. "Is everything alright?"

She assuredly nodded, "Just thinking." She responded. I bit the inside of my cheeks, suppressing the urge to questioning out of curiosity. I desperately wanted to ask her what was wrong, but she was not talkative and denied. Instead of pushing her any further, I nod. "I'm going to meet Alina, is that okay?"

"You hang with Alina a lot lately."

"She's a friend," I said.

"Be careful though, I want you home by afternoon." Granny said and got up from her chair and walked to the living room, leaving me alone in the kitchen. "I will." I replied, uncertain if she even heard.

****

I walked down the road towards the 'centre of Oakheart' and I saw Alina sitting on a bench with her beer in her hand. Why am I not surprise? Won't she be alcohol poisoned soon?
She was intensely eyeing a small cupcake shop, "I really want to eat a cupcake." She stated as I sat besides her. "Wow, hello to you too."

Alina chuckled, but still eyed the cupcake store.
Why was she eyeing the cupcake store so intensely? Realization hit me as I examined her with widen eyes. "Are you going to steal again?"

Alina devilishly grinned at me as an answer. Maybe I should start listening to Granny.
"If you want, I can just buy it for you?" I suggested. She narrows her eyes at me. "What's the fun in that?"

I looked over at the cupcake store. "It's not supposed to be fun."

Alina sensed my perturbation, "Relax, Alex. I have done this many times and never once have I been caught. It's almost like a sinful habit I have." She said as she got up and began to walk towards the candy shop.

"Alina, we are not stealing-" I stopped in the mid sentence, knowing convincing her was impossible since Alina was already a few feet ahead. I ran to her. "Are you crazy? We can't steal!" I hissed at her but she ignored me by hushing me down. I should start listening to granny.

We walked in. I, being very nervous and couldn't seem to stop trembling and Alina looking calm and innocent as ever. The cashier was to busy counting money and he was very young. Alina took five cookies at the same time as she eyed the cashier. She was sneaky and discreet. The way she was stealing was swiftly and smooth. She wasn't wrong, I could tell she had done this before.

I looked around in the small candy shop, and saw different kinds of cupcakes ad cookies on the small shelfs. My hands roamed over the cookies and the temptation lingered at my finger tips. I could steal one and no one would notice. It was hard

I looked over at the cashier and then at Alina (who is smiling devilishly may I add). I bit my lip, my conscience kept poking me, but I tried my hardest to suppress it. I quickly hid the cookies inside my deep pockets in my hoodie. With adrenaline rushing through and my heart pounding, I waited for a moment, to someone to yell at me but nothing. I smiled as I took another flavor of a cookie and laid it in my other pocket.

"Hey!"

My heart stopped for a mere second before it rapidly pounded loud. I've been caught, I'm going to jail aren't I? yes I am. Why did I do this? This is not me at all. I looked at the cashier, but his eyes were focusing on Alina. "What do think you're doing?" He practically shouted at Alina.

"This is the third time I see you stealing, Alina and I will report this to the Alpha, you hear?" He threaded. Alpha? I looked at him confusingly.

"Wait!" I shouted and Alina looked over at me and so does he. "Don't do it." I pleaded. The guy crossed his arm. "And why shouldn't I?" He challenged. I have no idea what to say but I don't want Alina being reported to the Alpha guy or whatever his name is.

"Because..uhm..she is very sorry about what she did and she will never do it again." I said and the guy stared at me, "Forgiveness won't help her out in this case." He said. "Fine, well in return we want to work for you." I quickly said. "Do we?" Alina questioned and I shot a glare at her direction. "Yes we do," I affirmed, but the cashier still doesn't seem to change his mind. "We'll work for you for a month?" I suggested.

Still no changes.

"Two months." I suggest again and Alina glares now at my direction. The cashier walked closer to the telephone on the table. "Six months!" I shouted. "What now?" Alina said, her gaze staying at me. The cashier smiled wildly at us. "Welcome to your first job ladies."

The cashier walked towards me."You'll work right after school, " He said. He stared at Alina, "And Alina can come here every morning at 10 a.m."

"You'll start tomorrow Monday, now go." He ushered us out.

"Okay, I may have lied about never being caught," Alina admitted as soon as we stepped outside. I glared at her. She started chuckling all of a sudden. "What?" I asked. "You looked so scared." She chortled. "Shut up. Being grateful that I saved us would be nice, you know." I said.