Competition Day: Solos

Jojo's POV

When I wake up, I'm immediately excited. Today is competition day. Today's the day I'm gonna beat Maddie and prove to Abby I should be her one and only favorite. ''Jojo! Time to get up!'' calls my mom. ''I'm up!'' I call. Half an hour later, we're driving to the Abby Lee Dance Company. When we arrive, I see everyone there. While I'm warming up, I get a text. It's from Maddie. I'm gonna beat you today. I text her back, No, I'm gonna beat you. And you'll be on the bottom of the pyramid. Take that, Maddie. Soon, we're on the bus, headed to Sheer Talent. A few hours later, after face timing Nia, who's sitting right next to me, listening to songs, and watching various High School Musical movies, my mom wakes me up from my nap. ''Jojo! Your hair's messy. Now we'll have to redo it.'' She puts it into two braids, I reapply my makeup, and we walk in. Thousands of fans are there to take selfies and even shake our hands. (I once heard a girl who had touched Maddie's hand say ''I'm never washing this hand again.'') We finally make it to the dressing room. Abby hands me my costume, which is gorgeous. It's white and sparkly and looks like something Maddie would wear. Although I like the costume, I still hate the dance. It's so lyrical I could kill myself. I apply my makeup, and Abby calls me over. It's time to run your dance,'' she says. I go through the cruddy lyrical junk, again and again with Abby correcting me on things like, point your feet, but I don't care. I just want to get this dance over with and beat Maddie already. I glance at Maddie. She's wearing a nude-colored full piece, and the collar is rhinestoned. Her hair looks like a mannequin, which is the title of her solo. Then it's time to walk down to the stage. I'm so excited. I can beat Maddie's contemporary crud any day. Maddie's first. The announcer says,'' Next up, The Mannequin.'' And Maddie's on stage. I hate to say it, but she's perfect. Except for the end of her solo. She's doing a turn sequence, and she falls out of her turns. But lucky for her, she covers it up. Not lucky for me. Now she won't get points off. Then Maddie walks off. ''Next up is Faith Is All I Need,'' says the announcer. I walk on stage. While I'm dancing, I lose it. I take Abby's corrections and dance my heart out. While I'm doing my turn sequence, I catch a glimpse of Maddie's face. She's biting her nails, which is something she does when she's nervous. I keep dancing. Finally, the dance is over. I walk gracefully off stage. Back in the dressing room, Abby hugs Maddie. All she says to me is, ''Good job.'' Now I'm even more determined to beat Maddie. Next, it's time for the group dance.

Author's Note-
This is not the end of the book. I still have to publish the group dance and awards. Tune in tomorrow for the group dance.:-)