Chapter 3

When lunch came I immediately spotted Mariah at our usual table in the back of the cafeteria. I jumped in line quickly and got out quickly. Today I had a burger with fries and a water. I sat at the table and pulled the sleeves of my hodoie and over my hand. Then put my hood on.

"So wanna talk about it?", Mariah asked.

"Talk about what M?", I asked.

"What happened between you and Connor this morning. The whole grade knew by fourth perid", she replied.

"Great", I said sarcastically picking at my fries.

"Come on S it's not bad. This could be the beginning of your first relationship", she said.

"Don't say it so loud. Not everyone needs to know I've never dated before", I said.

"Sorry. Anyways come on Sage. Don't be embarrassed. There's been a few times where I've wanted to date him. To bad he doesn't have a type", she said.

"Maybe he does and just doesn't wanna admit it", I said.

"Maybe", she said.

"Is this seat taken?", a familiar voice asked.

I looked up to see Connor standing there with his tray. I couldn't say anything. My words were lost. Almost like I couldn't say anything. I looked at Mariah telling her, no begging her to help me.

"Take a seat next to Sage", she said.

I have her that I'm gonna kill you look. She smiled so bright you could practically see the halo on her head.

"Thanks", he said.

"Oh it's no problem no one ever sits here um yeah", I said really quickly.

Ever seen Fruits Basket? Well I act like Toruh when she's around Yuki. But at least I can keep myself calm. Okay no I can't. I totally flip out in my mind.

"So what did you think of the biology test?", I asked.

"Honestly it was easy considering I actually studied this time", Mariah replied.

"I think I failed", I said.

"Cause you hardly ever study", she said.

"I can't fit it into my writing schedule", I said.

"You write?", Connor asked.

"Yeah. I help write the school newspaper and I also write books on wattpad", I replied.

(Haha I had to put that there.)

"Well maybe I should start reading the newspaper if you write something", he said.

I heard something drop and I looked at Mariah.

"Oh no my spoon fell. I'll just go get another one", she said.

She walked away from the table which meant she left me and Connor here alone. I'm gonna get her for this.

"So what type of books do you write?", he asked.

"Mainly teen fiction", I replied.

"Cool. Maybe one day I'll read it", he said.

"Yeah that would be cool", I said.

Mariah came back and sat down. I heard some girls laughing and pointing. All at me. Why can't those airheads just leave me alone for once? The period finally ended and I dumped my tray.

"Hey are you doing anything this weekend?", Connor asked.

"No why?", I asked.

"I was thinking that maybe we could hang out Saturday around noon", he replied.

I sighed. Not wanting to hurt his feelings but we come from to different worlds. It just won't work.

"Sorry but I can't. We're just to different and I don't think this will work out", I said.

He held my head up and looked into my eyes. They were pretty. Pretty enough to look in all day.

"One date won't kill you right?", he asked.

"Guess not", I replied.

"Great then I'll see you Saturday at noon. I'll give you my number later so you can text me your address", he said pulling out his sunglasses.

Why does he need sunglasses inside? Maybe his eyes hurt or something? He walked away and left me standing there wondering what just happened.