Chapter Two

The rain came down hard, its very presence rivaling the tension in the air, as thunder clapped in the distance. The clouds were dark and heavy with the threat of pouring more of its tears into the street. Ossie sat in the dark, not hearing the barrage on the tin roof of his car. He stared at the object in his hands - it shined dimly, illuminated by street lamp. This was going to make her happy like nothing else in the world would. And if she was happy, he was too. He would worry about his career later. Tonight he would focus on his life. The car hummed softly, drowned out by the rain, its windshield wipers working double time as they frantically paced the window. The streets were strangely empty though not much was visible to begin with. The deep red of the traffic signal shown through however, illuminating the rain in an eerier red. Ossie drummed his fingers on the wheel. There came a patter on the driver's side window, hard and rapid catching him off guard. He turned startled; the rain was now falling at a seemingly impossible angle. He stared in awe as it pelted against the glass, as if the water was clawing to get in, reaching for him. The light turned green and he hit the gas a little harder than he intended too. Eager to leave the weird light behind. Visibility was still zero but he still kept the pace, excitement growing the closer he came to home.

"Love, such a wonderful thing." he thought, then slammed the breaks. Ossie's clothes were soaked the moment he stepped out of the car.

"Whose there!" he yelled, looking underneath the front end of his car. He was positive he had seen someone there a moment ago, their face was clear as crystal and worse, he knew the face. A face he had seen his whole life. One that looked very much like his. Puddles parted as he trudged through the rain, straining to see any sign of life in this desolate night. He crawled back into his seat, leaving the wet world outside. What he had seen was impossible he decided, his gaze focused on the windshield. His own reflection wasn't even visible, just a distorted silhouette. Ossie took a deep breath, switched the car into drive, and continued on. He drove slower this time, more cautious, "focus," he thought, "focus." He let out another sigh. Faye. It always came back to her. His peace of mind, the reason he was working so hard in the first place. She made it all bearable. Ossie began to relax, and then it happened again. He glanced into his rear view mirror, his eyes met by some one else's. The car hydroplaned, he cursed as he gripped the steering wheel and tried to maintain control. It was by no guardian angel that he did so. He swore he was alone with demons. His demons. he punched the numbers as quick as he could into his phone. Brrrr. How he hoped this call would not go un answered, Brrrr. He needed to hear her voice right now, Brrrr... Click. "High you've reached Ossie!" His voice called to him on the other end.

"Ossie, give it back." the second voice contained a slightly southern accent.

"What I'm showing you how it's done."

"hey!"

"Faye can't reach the phone right now, she's too busy being madly in LOVE!" There was a bunch of laughing and then the phone beeped indicating it was time for a message to be left. He couldn't reach her, and he almost died, but her voicemail had been enough. He cracked a weak smile. He pictured the sun and its warmth, the rain disappearing from his senses. He had left the voice mail on her phone because she hadn't known what to say. He used to tease her all the time. They'd walk and picnic regularly before he became engrossed in the big merger. They had ended that moment, in a twirling hug. Ossie looked up, he had bumped the mirror during his spin out. Naturally he reached to adjust it. Obsessive compulsive disorder having been pushed on him at a young age.

"You FOOL!" A commanding voice boomed. Ossie pushed himself back into his seat, pressing against it as much as he could, the face had reappeared in the mirror.