August 10, 1986

Dear Belle,

By the time you're reading this, I'll be dead. Just kidding. I wanted to lighten the mood, but now I'm thinking I probably just upset you more. Sorry. Let me start over. (But not really, because I'm too lazy to get fresh paper.)

By the time you're reading this, you'll be gone. You're probably half way to Maine by now, or already there, depending on if you listened to me or not (which we both know you didn't). Although I guess it doesn't really matter if you're reading this in the car or not. You're still gone.

I can't believe you're leaving. I can't believe you're gone.

I'm going to miss you. I already do. I didn't sleep at all last night. I couldn't, not when I knew you were leaving the next morning. I just stayed up, trying to think of what to say to you. But I couldn't think of anything. "Have a nice life in Maine. See you probably never"? Nothing sounded right. So I'm sorry if I'm a mess later today (or earlier today for you, I guess).

Anyways, there is a point to this letter.

I didn't know how to say goodbye to you, so I thought I would write it instead. Although this isn't really much of a goodbye. I don't want it to be a goodbye. You're my best friend, Bells. I don't know how I'm going to survive fifth grade without you.

Ugh. I'm just so mad. I could kill your parents if your mom didn't make such good chocolate chip brownies.

I know you'll be okay though. You'll make tons of new friends and forget all about me. You'll get to eat lobster for dinner every day and you'll get to make angels in the snow when winter comes around. You'll have so much fun. I just wish I could be there with you when you do.

I don't want to lose you. I had this idea, it's stupid really, that we could write to each other to stay in touch. It was partially my mom's idea. She asked me how I was feeling about you moving and I said I would just call you every day. She didn't really like that and said the phone bill would be way too high.

I don't know, I think this might work better actually. I guess I'll find out what you think when, or if, I hear from you again.

Have fun in Maine (or whatever state you're in when you're reading this). Try not to kill Ben on the road trip.

I miss you,

Tom

P.S. Here's a picture of our first day of Kindergarten. God, my mom took so many pictures that day. I thought it might help you remember me when you're surrounded by dozens of boys. I bet none of them can do a crooked grind though. Do people in Maine even skateboard? See now you have to write me back. Unless you don't want to. Just call me at least, or something.

Bye, Bells. 

(A/N: I'm really excited for this story ngl. It'll be my fifth story that I have going (what?????!!!!!) so it probably won't get updated a lot. But the chapters will all be fairly short so I'll be able to write them a lot faster. Hope you liked it!)