I'm the co-pilot?! (Pacific Rim fanfic)

Someone knocks on my door. What time is it? I wonder as I rub my eyes. I check my clock.

2 a.m.?! Jesus.

I lay back down on my pillow. Probably some stupid Kaiju test alert again, I think.

"Kaya," he says. I open my eyes.

"What?! What do you want?!" I whisper loudly.

He opens the door. It's Raleigh.

SHIT!

ChApTeR tWo

He walks in quietly and sits down on my bed.

"You haven't answered my question!" I say, face in a pillow. Damn, Raleigh.

He looks down.

"Come down to the Training Section tomorrow, okay?" he says, his blue eyes staring into my dark grey ones.

Excuse me?

"Why?" I ask. I take the pillow and throw it at him.

"What do you think?" he asks. Transferring pickles to Mount Olive, wait, is Mount Olive even a place? It's like, 2020, so, yeah.

"Why do I have to go down there? I was gonna- nevermind." I shake the thought out of my head. I was gonna climb the wall and scream at the tops of my lungs.

He pauses for a long moment staring at my hand laying on my bed. "Well?" I asked urgently.

He snapped back to reality. "Uh, you remember, 2016, right?" he asked. My eyes flickered to his in the dark.

"Yeah, that was when I was 14, why?" I asked.

"Uh.. yeah," he said. He looked really sad. I just wanted to grab his face and kiss him. Not because I like him (which I don't, I like him as a friend), just to make him feel better.

"That was a year before -" he started. He closed his eyes. "- you know." he whispered.

Goddamnit! I know what that means.

I was to be his new co-pilot. Shit!

ChApTeR tHrEe

I woke up at 5 a.m. that morning. I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and slipped on my army boots and tags.

I run down all the steps, not even bothering to look at the people passing me. I heard one person say: "Did you hear that that girl down there is gonna be training?"

Other people just smiled as I ran down, feeling the cold air on my skin. Some laughed.

I arrived there at approximately five thirty a.m. I burst through the doors, and Raleigh smiled as I ran to a corner, and took off the t-shirt covering my black tanktop. I grabbed a staff and stood on the mat.

He did the same, as I stared at him. He got into position, and so did I. We stared at each other for a minute. We do that alot.

"Remember Kaya, this is practice. It's not the real thing, okay?" he told me.

I nodded. I think he could see the excitement in my eyes while I was breathing heavily.

 He twirled the staff getting closer to me while I blocked him, and I tackled him onto the ground. I smiled slightly, still breathing heavily. He was too. I heard footsteps walking in. It was the whole crew. I still had him pinned to the ground.

 I let him go. "Focus," he said. I nodded again.

I did a flip when he tried to pin me. I had him on the ground again, but this time he was kneeling and I had the staff pointed at his nose.  The crowd clapped and gasped. One person even yelled: "Kick his ass, Kaya!"