Welcome home

"Mom I'm home!" I yell as I open the door.
Hi the name is Zoey, I'm an 18 year old freshman at the university of Kentucky with an attempt at making movies. Silly right.
"Anybody home?!" I yell louder......"guess not" I set my bag down and walk into the kitchen.
I find a note on the table,
"Zoey,
I will be back in about an hour or two, me and Carla went to get things for the bbq tonight. If you could go ahead and start the grill, and set up the chairs and tables."
-dad"
"Alright then."
Carla is my step mother, my parents divorced about 2 years ago and I live with my dad.
I go out to the back patio and start up the grill. The chairs and tables are already sitting out, they nust need to be unfolded.
"Well hello there zoey!" I hear a man yell.
I smile "hey bill! How have you been?"
He takes his lit cigarette out of his mouth "been pretty good, how about you? How's college been treating ya?"
I laugh "school is school. You coming to the bbq this evening?"
"You know I wouldn't miss it. Ill let you get back to what you're doing. I need to finish this food im making for the cook out tonight."
"Alright bill be careful"
Me and bill have this kinda father daughter relationship going on he's more like a grandpa. I heard him talking one day about his days in the war and ever since we've been good friends.
Dad and carla show up. "Oh good you got it all de up and started!" She yells.
"Yeah your welcome...." I'm not much of a fan of carla.
"Summer break is finally here" dad says as he hugs me.
I chuckle "yep finally here."
People start showing up at about 7.
"Hey Josh!" I yell.
Josh is the first friend I made here when we moved to this town.
"Hey zoey! Glad your back! How was UK?" He asks and hugs me. Josh has always had a thing for me and truth be told I've always found him attractive.
"School is school I guess. Im just glad to be on summer break finally. How's high school still?"
He laughs "like you said school is school."
I see him scratching at his arm.
"Bug bite?"
"Yeah the mosquitos are awful today! I've got at least 5 bites already."
Strange for some reason I haven't gotten bitten.
The bonfire continues late into the night. People laugh, talk, and enjoy each others company the entire night. I start to get tired. "Hey Josh I'm going to go on inside and go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow ok!"
Josh smiles and winks at me "Alright sounds like a plan."
Bill catches me as I get onto the porch "going to bed little lady?"
I smile "yeah, I'm getting tired and I'm ready for bed. I had fun though! I'll stop by tomorrow and we will catch up later!"
He nods "Good deal"
I walk upstairs to my room, change clothes and lay down in my small twin size bed.