Coping With Depression

1. Exercise
This has got to be the most effective short term cure for sadness there is.
Exercise releases endorphines to make you happier. There's chemicals in your brain trying to make you feel better. I've never been able to be sad when I'm jumping around to upbeat music,
and I'm sad all the time,

It doesn't have to be this pain in the ass routine either
Go buy yourself a mini trampoline,  go walk the dog, have a 1 man mosh pit alone in your room, something.
if you don't get off that couch sometime soon, it's never gonna let you leave.

2. Get enough sleep
It's so important to take care of yourself physically if you wanna get better mentally.
Shoot for at least 7 hours a night.
Regardless.
Tumblr is not an excuse.

3. Stop isolating yourself.
Pushing people away is the worst thing you can do.
You're perfectly allowed to have alone time everyday,
But also find time everyday to socialize. Call up your grandma, go see your best friend, go downstairs and talk to your family for once.
Its all about balance.
It's a mental need to feel loved by those around you,
You're never going to be happy if you're always alone.
You're not alone.
Stop forcing yourself to be.

4. Have responsibility
My little sister was the only thing that kept me alive for a long time.
I felt it was my job to protect her.
She gave my life meaning.
Make sure you have something like that, a younger sibling, a pet, something you know depends on you. Just go buy a fern and put it in your room if you have to.
If you die who's gonna water that fern?
That fern needs you
Be there for fern

5. Eat breakfast everyday
Even when its like 6am and you're on chronic bitch mode, find the time.
Even if its shoving like 8 pop tarts in your backpack and eating them on the bus every morning like I did,
It'll wake you up faster, make you feel more energized, it makes a difference.

6. End your ways of self destruction
It doesn't even have to be cutting, it could be drinking, hanging out with wrong crowds, not wearing a proper coat, etc. They might seem like coping methods, but trust me, they're just holding you back.
Find the things/people that are toxic in your life and cut them out ASAP.

7. Have goals
You gotta dream big, and you gotta find the ambition to achieve them.
Think about what you want in your future. Instead of being upset about the things you don't have, find the inspiration to go out and get what you want.
If you want something you've never had, you gotta do something you've never done.

8. Make checklists
Start out small. Today, maybe you get out of bed for a bit. then tomorrow, you get out of bed and take a shower, and just go on like that. And be proud of yourself for it. You just gotta keep moving forward. Even if its walking, even if it's crawling, just keep moving forward.

9. Dont feel bad about it.
Mental illness is a difficult thing to understand, if you're struggling with what's thought as basic human functions, like eating on time, sleeping at night,
Don't be. You've got a lot going on upstairs. Deal with that before diving back into your regular routine.

10. Seek help
I don't mean like weekly therapy.
If you're feeling suicidal, or can barely get through the day because of mental illness,
Look into day treatment/psych wards.
There's a great support treatment there. Including schooling, only like 2-3 hours a day , and the credits get transfered to your school, so you won't be super behind when you get back to regular school.
I'd be happy to answer any questions about hospitalization if anyone needs it. Trust me, you'll get through this. There's tons of kids in there who understand what you're going through. And they can make you see things in a different light if you let them. You gotta let them help you. You gotta wanna help yourself.
This is the most important step.

Disclaimer; I made this list myself. No research, no professional advice, just what I've learned through experience of being a suicidal 15 year old girl. Maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't, but it's not what the study shows, it's what shows inside my head.