Part 1

A Million Pieces

I Surrender:

In the beginning, I didn't give her a second look. I never gave a second look to anyone. But still, my world changed when she did something no one else ever did. As I walked down the street, minding my own business as usual, she had somehow bumped my shoulder as she passed by me. Or maybe I bumped her, I wasn't really sure. All I could focus on was her turning towards me, quickly and shyly apologizing, then quickly pacing her way down the sidewalk.

I had found her flustered embarrassment cute, but that wasn't what drew me to her; it was something entirely different. It came to me as a sense, as a random knowing in my head. Seeing the map she dropped on the ground where she had bumped me, I picked it up, momentarily considering giving it back to her. Since she needed a map, it didn't take me long to catch on she was a tourist here. My only question was, why would someone with so little time left travel so far away from home?

I followed her all the way to her first location. It was a church, which to me seemed like any other, but apparently if you wished something sincerely enough here, then it would come to you. Even though I kept myself distanced from her so she wouldn't see me, I could still hear her words. What was she wishing for? I heard her say she wanted nothing but to be happy and well again. So my sense was correct..

As she began turning around, I began walking forward to go past her to make it look like I wasn't just standing there staring at her like some creepy guy, which I wasn't. It was something I never had to worry about before, no one took notice of me, but she did. I caught her taking a glance at me as we passed each other again. As soon as she fully left my sight, I immediately turned around and began following her again. The next location on her list was a popular shop but I saw her stop so she could take pictures of the beautiful scenery. The sparkling blue water with the tall buildings on the other side really were breathtaking. It's been a while since I took the time to appreciate it all since I've been able to enjoy it everyday for two years thus far.

"Are you following me?" I heard her voice say to me. When I thought she was catching me looking at her, I had turned away and pretended I wasn't, which I guess looked very obvious on my part. I looked around to make sure she really was speaking to me. I had to know.

"Me?" I pointed to myself.

"It just really looks like you've been following me."

"I wasn't.' I said simply which she seemed to believe. She went back to avoiding me so she could take a picture of herself on her phone, being sure to capture the scenery in the background.

"Hey," I caught her attention again. My anxiousness grew when she looked at me, as it had been doing every single time, "Do you want to make a bet?"

"A, bet?" She looked confused which made me laugh on the inside.

"Yeah." I smiled, "Want to bet in an hour we can meet at the same place again?"

She didn't answer, so I continued talking.

"If we do, we can tour together, I can show you around since I know this place really well." I felt myself become nervous. She must think I'm some creep, but that wasn't what I was. All I wanted was to help give her the wish she wanted to come true; at least half of it. I waved my hand in defense, "I'm not a weird person, I swear. I'm a student here, I can show you my student card if you want-"

"No, it's fine. It's fine." She stopped me. I bit my tongue to keep from making a complete fool of myself. She was the first person to talk to me like this in so long, I didn't want to pass it up, but I was still afraid I was weirding her out. I mean, if I was a girl then I certainly would be weirded out as well so I couldn't blame her for possibly wanting to taze me and run away. "In one hour?"