Chapter One

"Noah!! Cooome ooon, we've got to get there soooon!!" I yell to the boy across the field. He picks up his pace to a sprint and is by my side instantly, grinning like the idiot he is.

"I thought we were in a hurry??" Noah laughs, taking off towards the center of town. I giggle and begin to run after him, mimicking his awkward jog. When it's clear that I'm not going to catch up, I extend my wings and take off. Within seconds I've pass him, sticking my tongue out mockingly.

"Hey!! That's cheating, Hanamel!!" Noah whines behind me.

"But you run more than me!" I yell. I turn around and wait for Noah to catch up before pulling in my wings and walking alongside him. The town is full of people milling around, some running errands, others working, and some there for the Carnival that drew Noah and I. 

"The puppet show starts at noon! And we have to get good seats this time!!" I lightly nudge Noah, jogging over to the small stage towards the front. There are already a dozen kids sitting around the stage when I plop down in the center, taking the best seat in the house. Noah slides in beside me and nearly shakes in anticipation. Finally, a man adorned in psychedelic clothing and an oddly-shaped hat clambers onto the stage from behind the curtain. He wears red wool pants, a pair that must have been overly hot and a wool shirt that was a mixture of burgundy and earthy tones with white stripes sewn in. Small bells dangled from his shirt and on his shoes, making sure that not a single step went unnoticed.

"Hello boys, girls, and dams!! How are you doing this wonderful day??" The Jester spoke in a jovial and overly-comedic voice to catch the attention of the entire audience.

"We're doing good!" We all shout back in unison.

"That's great!! Just wondering, why are there a bunch of kids parked outside of my stand??" The Jester teases.

"For the puppet show!!" We respond.

"The puppet show!! Oh my, there's gonna be a puppet show?!" The man clasps his hands together in delight, steps off the stage, and reclines next to a child in the front row.  The children, myself included, laugh at his silliness.

"What's so funny?? Do I have something on my back??" The Jester questions, spinning around as if to check.

"No, you're the one doing to puppet show, Sir!" Noah says to the man.

"Me?! Well I'm not prepared?? What kind of stories do you even tell at a puppet show??" The Jester wonders aloud, staring blankly at Noah.

"Stories with brave heroes and terrifying dragons!" I cry.

"But that sounds boring!! Why don't we create a story of our own?" The Jester laughs.

"Yeah!!" Everyone shouts.

"Alright, now what about a main character??"

"I think it should be a werewolf!" Someone in the crowd shouts.

"How about a King?" Another cries.

"I think it should be me!" I stand up, grinning broadly. My peers turn to look at me confused. "I'll be the puppet, and you guys can tell me how the story goes!" The Jester grins widely and beckons me forward. Feeling apprehensive but nonetheless excited, I run towards him, giggling like a mad man. In one fell swoop he lifts me onto the stage.

"We have our main character! What's your name, sweetie??" The Jester asks, squatting down until we were eye to eye.

"Hanamel," I tell him proudly, puffing up my chest. Odd as the name may be, it was mine, and I love it's eccentricity.