xiv: not green

THE FLAMES SHINE brightly against the surrounding darkness, casting ghostly images of the rioters below against the buildings of the Big Square.

The entirety of Cape Carnelian is shrouded in shadows, a result of the approaching thunderstorm and the lack of power throughout the city. The people of the slums have taken over, destroying royal property, setting the Big Square ablaze, even going as far as executing royals as they drag them out onto the streets from their homes.

The capital has gone mad — and the credit goes to Mauve, who managed to incite a rebellion without even meaning to. Her game of revenge was the push a decaying Antares needed to finally bring about change.

Xavier watches the chaos from the same spot in his room in Scorpius Towers, feeling utterly useless. He doesn't have the manpower nor the authority to do anything but observe. Nearly all of the royal guard has deserted, and only the most loyal have stayed behind to protect the former prince. Former king. Had he even been king or had the monarchy already fallen the moment Gabriel was murdered?

It doesn't really matter; the people of Cape Carnelian want him dead regardless of his title.

"Sir," his bodyguard, Johann, says from his position across the room. "Someone has infiltrated the tower."

"Just the one?" Xavier asks dully, not moving his eyes from the window. "You should leave before you get yourself killed."

"Sir — "

"It's Mauve," he says bitterly. "Go. That's an order."

"I'll take my chances against the princess."

Xavier's lips pull up into a twisted smile, his eyes cold as he turns to face Johann. His bodyguard is barely visible, only slightly illuminated by the candles scattered around the suite. Xavier lets out a short laugh. "Ha. Princess. She's no princess, trust me."

Johann raises an eyebrow slightly — the biggest change in his expression Xavier has ever seen. "Sir, we need to — "

"You need to go, I have things to talk about with her."

"Sir."

"Go," Xavier commands harshly. "I'd rather not see you die."

The tension that hangs heavily in the air is almost too much for him. He's never been one for confrontation and certainly never one to raise his voice at the people he commands. Maybe he was never meant to be in charge of Antares. A weak king means a weak country.

After several moments of silence, Johann gives up, the defeat noticeable in the slump of his shoulders. He gives Xavier one last unreadable look and then quickly exits — only to be replaced immediately by a purple cloak and the assassin that's been plaguing his family for years.

✦ ✦ ✦

"DO YOU THINK I did the right thing?"

Claudette, Aiden, and Hunter are all watching the destruction of Cape Carnelian on a TV in a bar located roughly half an hour from the capital. The town is quiet and assuming compared to the monstrosity that is the capital, a blissful reprieve from the hell they were born into.

"You didn't really have a choice," Hunter says softly, squeezing Claudette's shoulder reassuringly.

"You probably could have waited a few days and then they would have forgotten about you. I bet over half of the royal council is dead and the police have more important problems." Aiden sips slowly at his beer as his gaze drifts from the TV to Claudette. The look in his eyes is icy and Claudette instantly feels even more guilty.