7. The Talk

I was nandini's ride to school the other day as well. She looked paler than usual but was annoying as ever.
"You alright?". I asked her as we drove to school.. " yeah I am". She replied. The day was a good one and Kate makes it good even with her brief presence in it. As we share English together , we occupy the corner beside Kate and Harold.

"I really am fed up with your curriculum. Honestly its just totally different from what I studied in India. I am lagging a lot. There's much I need to learn". She seems to be anxious about the studies too. It sure would be new to her. I couldn't control my laughter seeing her struggling go keep with the the teachers during the lectures. I used to feel that it serves her right for coming here.

At the end of the day as we walked to the car I said her,"my gran felt bad that you fell sick last night. She asked if you could show up today ". She was surprised.

"Are you mad Jake? Why did you say her that I was sick. Can't you keep your mouth shut"?

I simply gave her a smug look. We drove in silence to my home.

"You alright dear, I am sorry about your sickness". Gran said as she hugged her.

"Gran its really nothing. You don't have to worry. It's nothing as serious to be worried. "She said consoling my gran who was filled with guilt.

"You heard that ? She is fine." I said to gran as I pulled Nandhini upstairs to my room. "We'll be upstairs gran." I took her to my room. Now that I think of it. Nothing seems to be changed except the bed which has been replaced by a bigger one.

"Wow ! " she exclaimed as she saw the roof covered with transparent glass in one part of the room.  It was early in the evening so all she could see through the glass was the reddish sky. 

"I'll let you out to catch up with the curriculum." I said taking a seat in the coach beside her.

"Gosh its so kind of you Jake. It means a lot to me. You know I am honestly gonna fail if I am left alone in this." Her face glowed with relief as she jumped sitting in the coach.

"Hey there lady ! I am not done talking. Ill help you out in that and you in turn get closer with Kate and get to know her well,  her likes , dislikes and preferences. You know I am not a saint or your free service provider". I said lifting up my hands in air. She was staring at me through narrowed eyes and shrunken face.

"For a minute I almost thought that you grew some sense and consideration in that thick head of yours. Guess am wrong. "
I shrugged my shoulders crossing my arms against my chest.

"Say what? Deal? "I said extending my hand with a smirk in my face.

"Alright". She said shaking my hand .
I did want to help her. After all I know how annoying it would be to live in a foreign land.

I tutored her until dinner. She was a quick learner indeed. She dined with us that night she had a sandwich and some juice. I accompanied her to her apartment at night.

It had become a habit for her everyday after school to come home with me where I tutor her and she dine with us before going home. After a fortnight of such tutoring classes, one day she suddenly closed her book with a pop sound.

"Oy Jake. We need to talk". She looked as if she is a deep thought. I gestured her to carry on. She seems like she is hesitating to say whatever it is that she wants to say. She has always been a chatterbox and this is the first time I am seeing her struggling to put out her thoughts. And in fact she being nervous this way is igniting the same in me as well.

"I know its too early to say you this. We barely know each other . But I don't think I can stop myself from saying this. You know Kate since you were a child but you know me only now. And I don't think you are even gonna consider what am about to say. Trust me I have never been this way or felt this way in my entire life. Don't mistake me alright. " my my . where is this conversation heading. She being nervous, hesistant, and so serious and all that doesn't look like am gonna like what she is going to say. Wait is she gonna propose me?

"Wait. You gonna propose me or something?"
I asked with a horrified look on my face. Her expression changed from seriousness to shock to annoyance to disgust.

"What the *üçk Jake are u mad seriously. For heaven's sake , what the hell made you think that I am about to propose you ".

Uh oh. Am gonna be slayed for sure. Why didn't I keep my mouth shut. Of course how could it be possible. I can't let her insult me this way I must avoid the awkwardness somehow. It's just that I have heard that whenever someone says we need to talk ,it isn't going to be a good news and may be proposal would be the worst news she could give me. Yes. That's how I came to that conclusion.

"Was just kidding of course you can't stop yourself from saying such kind of things. Anyways go ahead carry on".

I bluffed something. I could say she was annoyed enough to not interpret the fact that I am trying to straighten the situation.

"You almost spoiled my mood you jerk. Forget it. I don't care."

"Just say ,alright !. I was just trying to lighten the atmosphere seeing how serious you were. " She seems to be buying my explanation.

Phew

"As I was saying.  It's been a month and as much as I noticed, Kate doesn't seem to even notice you. She is just full of Harold. You need to seriously do something to gain her attention. "

"So is Harold paying attention to you? It's him who is keeping Kate engaged the whole day. "

"Jake come on. It's not the time for us to argue who is more pathetic among us. We both are pathetic. Atleast Harold knows me. He even gave me a ride when you abandoned me in that who knows what cemetery. It's different Harold and I , we already know each other. It's not so in your case. "

She is correct which is why she never fails to piss off me. She has a point though.

"But its only a month and we are having progress aren't we? We are having lunch together. We are almost part of the same circle. "

"Jake being in front of her everyday is not a big deal. Have you ever given a thought how many times she would even look at you while you sit there gawking at her? "

"So what do you want me do ?"

"I don't care if they are together now. But they are not supposed to be together. But we should make sure they see that we are here for them. I mean its u who know her from the beginning. I know him before she even saw him. It has to be us. Now don't see me as some evil character or something. It's just that I love him Jake. He has been there for me when I was the most broken in my life and I want him always to be there for me. " she stood up and paced towards me. she looked like a lost puppy so weak and vulnerable. I wanted to held her hand and say its okay I am with you in this. And that's what I did.

"Hey don't worry. I am in. We will do it. "

"I know you don't like me. But we have to be together in this Jake. We can't let our differences be an obstacle for our one goal. So no matter how much you get annoyed tolerate it because I am equally annoyed by you. We have to put up with each other if we are going to work together. "

She did made sense. And she isn't saying this for her alone. It was for us. Both of us. Despite our differences, we are really similar in a way. We both have lost our love to someone else and its time we get back what was supposed to be ours. I got up and gave her a hug. In turn she gave me a bear hug. I could say she was indeed deeply broken.