11

So sorry to be late with an update. I was under the weather and wasn't feeling good this week, and my writing/editing schedule got pushed back.

 I sat in the hospital bed, my mind hazy and my body weak. The echoes of my family's worried voices almost haunted me. I began to recount my last moments of consciousness before I passed out in the beta's arms. My surroundings felt surreal as if I was suspended in a dreamlike state. The beeping of the heart rate monitor filled the room, but its urgency was lost in my delirious state. The sound merged with the muffled echoes of distant voices, becoming a distant hum that I couldn't decipher. My senses dulled, and a sense of detachment consumed me.

The door flew open, and within seconds, my mate was again by my side. The nurse, on the other. However, their faces moved in and out of focus, words distant and fragmented. I closed my eyes, hoping to find solace in the darkness, but my thoughts swelled in a dizzying whirlwind. 

What would have happened if I hadn't been rescued? The dark thoughts began to poison my mind.

"Are you okay?" I heard the frantic sound of Cane's voice, distant yet urgent, as if calling me from the depths of water. My senses were muffled, the world a haze of blurred shapes and muted sounds. I gazed up at Cane, his face a mosaic of concern, his knitted eyebrows revealing the depth of his worry. His brown eyes were now glossed over with fear and uncertainty. The desperation in his voice was palpable, reaching out to me like a lifeline in the chaos. But even as his words reached my ears, they were warped and lost amidst my swirling confusion. At that moment, I realized the true extent of my delirium, as my senses betrayed me and painted a distorted reality. I couldn't respond. 

The weight of guilt pressed upon my chest, a suffocating force that threatened to crush me. It bore down on me, relentless and unforgiving, as I carried the burden of the heartache I had inflicted upon my family. The ache of remorse gnawed at my soul; I couldn't find the courage to utter the truth, to reveal the depths of my captivity to my mate. The shame weighed heavily upon me, a shadow that tainted every moment of connection between us. How could I expect understanding when I couldn't even face the truth myself? Amid my silence, the guilt grew like a tangled web, entangling my heart and mind, imprisoning me in self-inflicted agony. Would he ever want me to be his Luna if he knew I was actually a rogue? How could he trust me to protect him and his pack when I couldn't even protect myself?

'We have to tell mate, tell him about what happened.' My wolf's voice filled my head. She was right. Every fiber of my being yearned to confide in Cane, to share every detail and thought that was haunting me. But as I lay in the hospital bed before him, my tongue felt heavy, and my thoughts tangled in a web of uncertainty. The words eluded me, slipping through my grasp like elusive whispers in the wind. I knew I should tell Cane. Yet, the fear of his reaction and the vulnerability of baring my soul held me captive. 

Suddenly I felt a pair of muscular arms enveloping me in a warm, comforting embrace. The familiar scent of my mate enveloped my senses, grounding me in the present moment. It was as if a surge of energy coursed through my veins, instantly pulling me out of the daze that had consumed me. I felt his heartbeat against my head, a steady rhythm that echoed like music. In his embrace, I found solace, a sanctuary from the chaos that had plagued my mind. Overwhelmed by the rush of emotions, tears welled in my eyes, spilling over in an uncontrollable torrent. They were tears of relief, joy, and gratitude for the profound love that enveloped me. At that moment, I realized the immense power of his presence and how it could shatter any of my fears. As my tears cascaded down my cheeks, I clung to him tightly, allowing myself to be vulnerable, to release the pent-up emotions that had consumed me. In his arms, I found a sanctuary where I could be my most authentic self, embraced and cherished.