Chapter Two

For the first time in almost two years, there was some kind of structure, a kind of rhythm, to Sasuke's life. He'd drag himself out of bed on time now to eat breakfast with his brother, and he was hardly ever late for school these days. Most afternoons he spent at the centre until late in the evening, and then he'd go home, eat dinner, and fall into bed, having been so worn out by those children and the never-ending paperwork that he sleep through the whole night.

Weekends were for homework and studying. Naruto just assumed that Sasuke was getting perfect grades- of course he would be, Sasuke-chan had always been so smart. But truthfully, Sasuke was barely passing. He just hadn't cared about school before. And Itachi was thrilled when his grades started to improve- though, when his brother started talking about plans for next year, university maybe, Sasuke was quick to shut him down. He didn't want to think about that, not yet.

Until now Sasuke's world had been dark and cold, and he'd been drifting, listlessly, almost frozen. It had been that way ever since he'd gotten the news that would change his life. It had been almost two years of just letting himself float, and if that meant not feeling much of anything, well, it was better than sinking.

So no, he didn't want to think about plans for next year, he didn't want to talk about his future. It was enough that life was a little bit brighter now, a bit warmer. He just wanted to get through each day, looking forward to when he could step through the doors of the centre and hear Naruto's voice greeting him happily, and see that vibrant, sunny smile.

***

Itachi had a boyfriend. And, apparently, he'd had one for a while; several months, in fact. Sasuke had no idea, until his brother had come clean about it all.

He was angry. He slammed his wash-cloth onto the surface of the lunch table and scrubbed hard, far more vigorously than was actually required, pushing the cloth back and forth until he felt his arms start to burn, all while clenching his teeth tightly together. How dare he, how dare his brother keep a secret like this for months, and how had Sasuke not noticed! Itachi must have been sneaking around like some rebellious teenager afraid of getting grounded-

He slammed the cloth into the table again and growled, glaring down at his hands.

It wasn't that Sasuke didn't want Itachi to date; obviously, he wanted his brother to be happy, of course...and this guy seemed nice enough, if a little odd. He seemed really into fish. But as soon as this boyfriend had left their apartment, Sasuke had exploded.

"Ohh," came a voice, "Sasuke-sensei's angry..."

Sasuke bit his lip and forced himself to sit back on his heels and take a deep breath. Don't throw a tantrum in front of the chibis, you loser, he told himself. "I'm not angry," he said, turning around and seeing two kids and Naruto watching him.

"I think he's just a bit grumpy today, guys," Naruto said to the kids clinging to his legs. Midori and Kota, Sasuke thought. ...since when have I known all their names?? "It happens to all of us. I wonder what's wrong?"

"Maybe he fell out of a tree," Midori suggested.

"He had to eat pumpkin," Kota added.

"Or broccoli," Naruto continued, wrinkling his nose.

Sasuke sighed. "I had a fight with my brother," he said, quickly, before this trio could come up with anything else.

"Ohh," the trio murmured, nodding.

"I fight with my brother all the time," said Kota. "He always wins, though."

"My brother's so annoying. All he does is cry, and he stinks," said Midori, glaring in the general direction of where the younger toddlers were taking a nap.