Chapter Thirty Five

JAVIER, the personal attendant assigned to Alejandra and Montey's Grand-Class overnight sleeper cabin led them down the narrow corridor to their quarters as the train pulled out of the yard. When the quirky, slightly built man with a gap in his coffee stained teeth, a uni-brow and crazy eyes unlocked the door Montey and Alejandra were confused when they saw rose petals thrown about, champagne on the small table and a heart shaped box of chocolate on the one and only bed.

"Only one bed?" Alejandra wondered out loud.

"Rose petals?" Montey asked simultaneously. "Javier is it, wassup with the bed?"

"Is it not big enough?" he asked through that coffee stained grin of his.

"He means that we're not together like that."

"Did you not book the Nuptial Suite?"

"The Nuptial Suite?" Alejandra and Montey asked in unison as they looked at each other, then at the attendant.

"I think there must have been some sort of mix-up," Alejandra said.

"Javier is here to serve you," the quirky man responded as he went into action. In less than two minutes he converted the one bed into two separate couches which took up the wall on either side of the cabin. "Is this more suited to your liking? Or would you prefer—"

"No, no. We will manage just fine," was Alejandra's response.

"Whatever the lady wishes." He pointed out the phone on the wall, "Now, if you need anything else just ring that little phone right there," he informed them. "Is there anything else?"

"No. I think you've helped us enough," Montey snapped. He unceremoniously tipped the man just to get him to leave quicker.

"Thank you kind sir, enjoy each other," Javier the attendant rattled off in Italian.

"Now that...was weird," Alejandra remarked as she plopped own on one of the couches.

The cabin was cozy but not cramped.

Montey grabbed one of the extra blankets that were available and plopped down on the other couch.

The train began to pick up speed.

Montey could hear and feel the wheels gliding across the rails beneath the floor of the cabin; it felt as if it were on ice-skates. The motion of the train had a hypnotic effect—Montey felt his eye-lids getting heavy as the light in the cabin grew dimmer and dimmer.

"How did my father convince you to do this job?" Alejandra asked. When Montey didn't answer she looked over to see his eyes were closed.

Now Alejandra Lasprilla found herself sitting up in bed admiring the stranger on the other couch who had saved her life. The stranger she watched float between life and death for three and a half days in her father's house. The stranger she now knew as Montey Greene who she was suddenly feeling a certain amount of fondness for.

Alejandra only had a handful of people that she actually considered friends, Christina, the girl who helped run her boutique being one of them. With no siblings or mother to speak of she was used to being alone, and with an important fashion show coming up she kept her nose buried in her work. Even when she was entertaining company in her apartment in the city or at her villa on the lake, this was the first time she actually didn't feel lonely all do to the presence of the stranger on the couch.

He wasn't bad looking either she told herself as she swung her feet down from the bed slipping on the complimentary slippers that came with the first-class cabin. She stood up and retrieved the matching robe out of the closet. She removed her blouse then draped the plush white robe over her shoulders before slipping out of her black riding pants styled leggings. After retrieving her toiletry bag, she tip-toed around Montey, dimmed the cabin lights then disappeared into the bathroom leaving the door cracked opened just a bit as to not steam up the bathroom mirror too much.

When your life is constantly moving at one-hundred-fifty miles per hour, and your five senses have been fine tuned to having a sixth sense, deathly silence interrupted by the partially muted sound of water hissing through the tiny holes in a showerhead are enough to snap you out of even the deepest of sleeps. That and a slight tapping you think you're hearing in your head.

Montey's eyes slowly opened.

Where was he?

Then he heard and felt the wheels gliding on the tracks beneath where he lay, the sound of the shower water became more pronounced and he saw the slither of light coming from the cracked door to the bathroom.

Oh that's right, he was on a train.

His attention went back to the light coming from the cracked door to the bathroom only for it to be interrupted by a slight tapping on the door. So, it wasn't all in his head. He sat up, his attention going from the cabin door to the bathroom door.

"We need to check your passport and boarding pass," the muffled voice on the other side of the door declared.

"Boarding passes?" Montey mumbled under his breath.

"Just a minute," Montey responded to the voice on the other side of the door.

Then the sound of the water hissing through the tiny holes in the showerhead trickled to a stop, drawing his attention back to the bathroom. His eyes found themselves focusing on a nude Alejandra stepping out of the shower. "Damn," Montey said to himself, she was even more curvaceous than her form fitting clothes revealed. He had momentarily forgotten about the request to see his passport and boarding pass until he heard the tapping on the door again.

"Just a second," Montey said again as he pulled himself from off the floor.

"Montey, are you up?" came the voice from the bathroom.

Montey glanced back at the bathroom where he could see Alejandra wrapping herself in a towel.

"Yeah I'm up," he said as he started to unlock the cabin door. "The attendant needs to see our boarding passes and passports."

"What?" Alejandra asked again.

"I said the attendant needs to see our boarding passes and passports," Montey repeated louder as he started to open the cabin door.

"No, don't...!'' Alejandra yelled from the bathroom.

It's a good thing the human body is designed to react before the brain tries to decipher exactly what the immediate danger is, for no sooner did Montey begin to open the door when the person on the other side tried to force their way in. Fortunately for Montey's toes he'd kept his boots on, otherwise he might have suffered a couple of broken digits the way he instinctively used his foot as a doorstop.

The same however couldn't be said for the intruder who found his hand gripping the gun with the silencer attached being smashed in the doorway several times with such force his fingers sprung open and the gun disappeared. Then he felt a clump of his hair being yanked just before he went airborne as the door sprang open sending him sprawling facedown onto the cabin floor. When the gunman rolled over and began staggering to his feet he found the muzzle of his own gun staring back at him.

For a fraction of a second Montey didn't know if the gunman just decided to plop back down on the floor and sit there with his mouth agape due to the position he now found himself in, or, the sight of Alejandra standing in the doorway of the bathroom with the towel wrapped around her frame and her hands over her mouth. Either one was a sinful sight for a religious man. And judging by the Jesus piece choking the gunman's neck his faith was about to be tested.