Chapter 14

We landed before the cheering people of Berk, watching with smiles as the dragons descended back to the ground, the wild dragons looking around at their new home. Cloudjumper was one of the last to land, and he loomed over Toothless before bowing down. That set off a chain reaction, and the rest did the same, chittering and cooing. Toothless looked around at all of them, before screeching.

"You never cease to amaze me, bud," Hiccup marveled as he rested his forehead against Toothless'. "Thank you." The moment was over, and Toothless starting licking Hiccup, covering him in his sticky saliva as everyone around them laughed. "Toothless, you know that doesn't wash out."

I shook my head and watched the pair with affection, until I felt something nudge my arm. I looked down to see a purple Thunderdrum gazing up at me with big eyes, and I smiled before crouching down and hugging her.

"I'm so sorry, girl," I whispered. "You're so brave. I'm so glad you're back."

With a final pat on Shriek's head, I stood and made my way over to Hiccup, who looked at me with an affectionate smile. I drifted over behind him, placing my hands on the front of the Rumblehorn standing by us, his rider gone.

"That was some pretty fine dragon-wrangling back there." I looked up to see Eret approaching the two of us. You two would make good trappers." Skullcrusher moved away from me and nudged Eret under his arm. "Whoa." I smiled and leaned against Hiccup's shoulder as Eret chuckled awkwardly, clearly not used to dragons being affectionate.

"You know... Skullcrusher is gonna need somebody to look after him now."

"Me?" I nodded. "I'd be honored."

"Oh, your father..." I removed myself from Hiccup as Valka came over, taking her sons hands with a wide smile on her face. "...he'd be every bit as proud as I am."

"Thank you. I'm really glad you're here, Mom."

"And here I'll stay." Toothless came up to Val, and Hiccup turned back to me.

"See?" I smirked. "I told you it was in here." I rested my hand against his chest for a second, then snuck it down and popped open the dorsal fin. His laughter was sarcastic as his rolled his eyes.

"You're still doing that one. That's hilarious." Suddenly, he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close against him. "Come here, you."

I was shocked for a moment as Hiccup pressed his lips against mine, but as soon as I was able to react, I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back, smiling into it.

He turned away as someone tapped him on the shoulder, and we looked down to see Gothi, gesturing to the ground. This was the moment, the one he'd been trying so hard to avoid. He looked back at me with scared eyes, and I urged him forward with a smile.

"You're ready."

With shaking hands, he stepped forward and crouched down, allowing her to draw the symbol on his forehead with ashes from a broken house. She extended her arms out, allowing Hiccup to stand as Gobber approached with a proud smile.

"The chief has come home!"

The crowd around us cheered and chanted, "long live the chief!" Dragons fired into the air, creating bright patterns in the sky. Hiccup reached out and pulled me back against him, moving my head to carefully rest against his chest.

"So... the alpha and the chiefs?" I smiled. "I could get used to that." He smiled and caressed my cheek. "You ready for what comes next?"

"What does come next?" I shrugged and kissed him again.

"Who knows?"

This... is Berk. A bit trampled and busted and covered in ice, but it's home. It's our home.

I watched from the platform as some men and women carved a statue of Stoick into the mountainside, to honor a great chief. Some- including Hiccup- were repairing homes and buildings, while the others participated in another dragon race. Meanwhile, I just stood and watched everything happen, too far into my pregnancy to actually do anything that wouldn't hurt me, or the baby.

Those who attacked us were relentless and crazy. But those who stopped them? Oh... even more so!

The dragon racers rushed by Hiccup, distracting him from his work and encouraging him to join. I shook my head and laughed as he dashed after them.

We may be small in numbers, but we stand for something bigger than anything the world can pit against us. We are the voice of peace. And bit by bit, we will change this world.

Gobber launched the Black Sheep into the air, almost directly in Astrid's path. It looked as though she'd be able to grab it and win, when Hiccup shot up from above her and snatched it.

You see, we have something they don't. Oh, sure, they have armies, and they have armadas, but we...

Hiccup jumped off of Toothless' back and dropped the Black Sheep in, before joining the others on the platform. As soon as he hopped down, he raced over to me and wrapped one arm around my waist, resting the other on my growing stomach.

We have...

"How are you two holding up?" I laughed and kissed his forehead.

"We're absolutely wonderful." Suddenly, I felt a flutter from my stomach, and Hiccup pulled away, looking at me in astonishment.

"Did they... Did they just kick?" I nodded and reached out to hug him again. "Oh, that's amazing!"

Toothless nudged his way in between the two of us, and I laughed as he sniffed my stomach before demanding attention from the two of us.

...our dragons!