Chapter 5: Faking Intimacy

If Kellan was at all surprised to see her, Alexa couldn't tell. He stood up and pulled out the chair beside him.

It took her a few seconds to realize it was for her.

"Thank you," she said, sitting down. They were supposed to be lovers. Right. But she nearly jumped out of her skin when she felt him lean over her shoulder.

"You look beautiful," he said, then lowered his voice into a whisper. "But that's not the dress I got you."

She smiled at him, trying to ignore the closeness of his lips to hers. Any closer and he would be able to hear the nervous pounding of her heart. "I pick my own clothes, thank you, Mr. Butler," she whispered back.

"Very well."

"Everton Blake," said the Englishman beside her, offering his hand.

"Alexa Diaz," she said, and shook it. "I'm so sorry to be late."

"Not at all, dear," said Paige. "I hope everything's all right?"

"All right?" Alexa said, puzzled.

"With your family. Kellan said there was an emergency?"

How on earth did he know? "Yes. Well, I had to take my grandmother to the hospital. She had a slight fever."

Paige's brow furrowed. "I'm so sorry to hear that."

"She'll be okay. They just need to keep her under observation overnight."

"Well, we're happy you can join us," said Everton. "I apologize if Kellan and I talk a bit of business over lunch."

"It's fine," Alexa said. She took a menu card from their server, smiling in thanks.

"So ... I changed my mind," Alexa said, speaking as low as she could. She held up the menu card to try to obscure her face from their lunch companions.

Kellan studied his own menu. "It would appear so," he said, not bothering to keep his voice down.

She shot him a sharp look.

"Whatever are you two whispering about?" Everton said. He looked at them with an amused expression.

Paige was quiet, but Alexa could sense her watching them with more than just a casual interest.

"Nothing," she said. "It's just —"

"Alexa and I made a bet," Kellan cut in smoothly.

"A bet?" Paige's eyebrow arched. "I never knew you to be a betting man, darling." She set an elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm. "Tell me more."

"It's nothing, really," Alexa said. She gave Kellan a warning look.

"Unfortunately, I can't divulge the details right now," Kellan said, turning to Alexa, "However, it looks like I owe her ... five hundred dollars."

"You bet more than that, Kellan, honey," Alexa said, smiling amicably at him.

"The previous arrangement, sweetheart, was a thousand dollars and only because it involved a certain amount of ... nudity."

"I say," Everton said, looking amused. "That sounds like such an interesting bet."

Alexa cleared her throat. "You could say that," she said. "But Kellan, that previous arrangement lasted fifteen minutes. This one is longer, and more ... confrontational."

"Fifteen minutes you say?" Paige said, raising an eyebrow.

"It was unsustainable for longer than that," Alexa said, nodding her head. "In fact—"