Coming Home Again

Dearest Jo,

It is with a heavy heart that I write you this letter. I know Marmee wrote to you of Beth's illness, but have no fear. Our sister is well on her way to making a full recovery. You should see her, Jo!  Roses bloom in her cheeks again and her eyes shine as I've not seen in years. We are forever indebted to our dearest Laurie. You see, I am with child, Jo. In my condition, I could not help Marmee care for Beth. Amy, as you know, is in Europe with Aunt March and was, of course, unable to return home. Laurie, being as fond of Beth as he is, took it upon himself to tend to her. Nearly every day he was at Orchard House, entertaining our sister and keeping her spirits up. Oh, Jo!  We didn't know. He never mentioned he'd never had scarlet fever as a child. I'm afraid he's quite ill. I'm so sorry, Jo. Mr. Laurence has hired a nurse and had Dr. Bangs out numerous times, but I'm afraid there's nothing left to be done. I am sorry not to have written you sooner, but Laurie wouldn't hear of it. I do hope he'll forgive me for I could not keep such news from you a moment longer. Come home to us, Jo. He needs you now more than ever before.

Your devoted sister,
Meg

Jo March made her way up to her beloved Orchard House. She smiled when she saw the welcoming old place. Despite the circumstances, it was good to be home. "Meg!" she called to the woman who was busying herself in the garden.

Her older sister stood and turned toward her, giving Jo a good look at her rounded middle. A smile broke over Meg's pretty face. "Jo!"

The sisters embraced, Jo clutching Meg's hands, looking fondly at her expectant figure.  "How wonderful," she sighed happily. "Oh, I am so thrilled for you." Then, as if all at once recalling the reason for her visit, her smile faded. "How is he?"

Meg's eyes grew soft. "You will find him much altered, I'm afraid. Come, say hello to everyone and rest a bit, then you may go and see him for yourself."

"No," Jo said as they entered the house arm in arm. "I'll say hello to everyone, of course, but I could not rest now, Meg. I must go to him at once."

"Yes, of course," Meg nodded in understanding. "When you do, be sure to give him our love. We are indebted to him."

"I'll be sure to, but he wouldn't have us thinking that way. Theodore Laurence has never done a thing in his life he hasn't wanted to do."

"You're right," the married March sister agreed with a light smile. "Have you spoken to him since..."

"No," Jo was quick to say.

Meg pressed her hand over Jo's in the same maternal way she always had, though it now seemed dearer to Jo somehow. "Well you've both had time apart to think things over rationally since then. I'm sure he's ready to put it behind him, as you have done, and begin your friendship anew."

Less than an hour later, Jo entered the library where she found Mr. Laurence behind his desk with his head in his hands. Christopher Columbus, he looked as though he'd aged ten years since she'd seen him last. She cleared her throat, and he looked up at her, a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes falling on his lips. He was happy to see her though, that much was plain. "Josephine."

"Hello, Mr. Laurence," she smiled fondly as the older gentleman stood and came around to wrap her in a warm embrace.

"Welcome home, dear girl."

"Thank you," she said, then a bit nervously added, "I was wondering... that is, might I..."

Mr. Laurence only smiled knowingly. "Come with me."

Jo followed Mr. Laurence up the stairs to Laurie's bedchamber, her heart pounding, so unsure of what she'd find on the other side of that door. Did Laurie still bear her ill will, or would he be happy to see her? Would he appear as Beth had when she contracted the awful disease, or would it be worse? She shuddered at the thought.

When she stepped into the room and laid eyes on the figure before her, her heart gave a painful lurch. "Oh, dearest Teddy," she sighed, sinking to her knees beside his bed. He was so pale, so thin. Nothing like the dear boy she'd left behind.

Mr. Laurence escorted the nurse out to give Jo some time alone with his grandson. Jo, for her part, scarcely noticed. She was far too focused on her boy. She reached out to brush the dark, sweat damped curls away from his face, when his fever bright eyes fluttered open. "Jo?" he managed to whisper, wincing at the fire that burned his throat when he did so.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. Go back to sleep, Teddy."

But it was as if he didn't even hear her. He simply continued to stare up at her beautiful face, confusion wrinkling his brow. "You're truly here?" his words floated on a breath. "I dreamed it so many times, but..."

"Hush now," Jo soothed, taking his warm hand in both hers. "I'm here, but you must get your rest. There will be plenty of time to chat and quarrel later. For now, you must sleep."

Laurie shook his head as much as he was able. "You'll be gone when I wake. You always are."

Hot tears pricked Jo's eyes as she brought his fingers to her lips, there placing a gentle kiss. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here when you wake up, I swear it on pain of death."

Laurie's eyes were already drifting closed. The words fell from his lips as he slipped into unconsciousness. "Stay, Jo. Please. Stay."

Jo pressed her lips together tightly as Laurie's breathing evened out, exhaustion taking it's toll on his weakened form. She was heartbroken that he thought she would leave, now especially when he needed her most. Although, she supposed she could not blame him, for that's exactly what she had done. Run away and left him broken and bleeding. But, dear boy, he'd cared for her family in her absence. That was frighteningly apparent as she watched him sleep, face flushed with fever and chapped lips parted slightly. Though his upper body had been supported with pillows, his breaths were shallow and strained, a terrible wheezing sound accompanying each rise and fall of his chest. Sweet Teddy, foolish boy, what were you thinking?

Jo had returned to Concord the very day she'd received Meg's letter proclaiming Laurie's illness. Everyone had told her there was nothing left to be done. Jo refused to believe that. She would not give up on her boy so easily. "We'll get you well yet, Laurie," she said softly, giving his hand a squeeze. "Just you wait and see."

The nurse opened the door to the younger Laurence's room, ready to resume her duties, but stopped short when she saw her charge sleeping soundly for the first time in days, the March girl tenderly dabbing at his face and neck with a cool cloth. When he began to moan in his sleep, moving his head restlessly on the pillow, the young woman gently touched his cheek, muttering soothing words until he quieted. The nurse watched her place a kiss to his forehead before once again taking up the cloth and continuing her ministrations. With a small smile, she closed the door, going in search of Mr. Laurence. Her services were no longer needed. Medicine had carried him through his illness as far as it could. Her professional experience could only do so much. Something told her Theodore Laurence could be in no better hands than the March girl.