Chapter 7 From Dawn to Dusk (Part 1)

Before them stood a lonely mountain forged by human hands. Towering walls of the finest mortar and stone, with gates that strut out like a titan's hand, were reaching for them. The fear of Almar was a worthy thought, but the might of Lorlyn's Capitol was unrivaled.

Past its gaze was the foul stench of the humans that inhabited it, the dung-filled swamp that gathered the length of a hundred men, a reminder of how frail it truly was.

It was harvest season. The familiar scent of horse dung, fresh bread, spices, salted fish, and smoke. You could hear the clops of horses against the scattered stone and dirt ground; or perhaps the alarming bash of metal from a smithy's hammer.

You could hear the wheels of heavy carts bumping and grinding against the street, which was filled to the brim with grain, spices, apples, cabbages, and the shade of the towering homes. Guard patrols walked along past them; each member saluting the two brothers. It wasn't long until they reached the center of the great city; the citadel itself: the home of King Derek.

Carrion turned to Theodren, for since their arrival, he hadn't spoken a word.

"For a moment, I took you for this foul breeze. You've not said a peep." Carrion said playfully. "Aren't you the cheerful one?"

"What's to cheer?" Theodren pushed Carrion aside.

"Perhaps a few familiar faces might remind you." Zoran dug his elbow against Theodren's side.

Theodren paused on the great Keep's steps, a glare upwards to what appeared a dog in metal clothing.

"Ah, and the prodigal son returns; no less spent than the last!" Armand shouted.

Armand was speaking towards his side, as another had whispered in his ear, scurrying off into the keep.

"Still an unmarried man, I presume?" Theodren asked, climbing up to him.

Armand paused a mild scowl under his breath.

"No less than you, petty." Armand huffed.

"Pardon that I inquire, but why are you here?" Theodren forced a grin. "Did our Majesty run out of rats to upkeep his bed chambers?"

"That's enough, Theodren." Zoran pulled him aside, and signaled to the others. "Best keep your wit aside while we still have our heads."

"Who was that?" Carrion asked, catching the balding man off guard.

"Oh? Just a servant sent to signal your arrival."

With a turn, Armand's armored high guard uniform clanked a distinct screech.

"This way. The King heard what happened at Drakon. Take no heed for trivial introductions, much as the news is a pity."

They all stood and looked at him, where from their cheerful grins came to an overwhelming sense of dread; Drakon was gone, and what little joy they tried to paint over their pain would only briefly last.

"Let's run along, then." Armand looked towards them from a side angle, signaling his head forward. "The King doesn't seek favor to wait."

Theodren sighed with relief, head held high as he emitted his final remark before entering the palace gates.

"At least we're home."
_______________________________________