Prologue - Zoey

PROLOGUE - ZOEY  

"This is your last week before you move into your own place, huh?" Zoey's older brother, Seth, pulled out a stool from under the island and sat down, leaning his elbows against the granite and looking at his sister. 

Zoey nodded happily, unable to speak due to the spoonful of Cheerios in her mouth. 

"I cant believe you're moving out before me." Seth chuckled with a slight shake of his head. 

"Believe it." Zoey giggled before shoving another spoonful in her mouth. 

Zoey quickly finished her cereal, then set the bowl in the sink so it could be washed later. 

"Will you help me load some of the boxes in your truck?" Zoey asked her brother, who was now doing something on his phone. 

"Sure." Seth jumped off of the stool and pushed it back under the island, shoving his phone in his back pocket. 

Seth and Zoey were always close. Seth was one of the first people to hold Zoey when she was born, even if he was only ten years old. You could tell by the sparkle in Seth's eyes when he stared down at his newborn sister that there would be an instant connection that would last throughout their life. Of course they had their arguments like every brother and sister have. They've said their fair share of 'I hate you's, and 'I wish I was an only child's when they were younger, but that's only made them closer in their later years. 

Zoey and Seth ran upstairs and picked up the first boxes they saw. Then, they went back downstairs (a little bit slower this time) and walked out to Seth's black Ford F150 that was parked in front of the house.

"Where are these going again?" Zoey asked, walking towards the back of the truck.

"Right here, I'll just strap them in and put the cover on." Seth set his box all the way in the back, then took Zoey's and placed it right next to the other one. He then strapped those two in so they wouldn't slide around when the truck was moving. 

They did this for about an hour, until the mailman came driving down in his little white car and stopped in front of the small wooden mailbox.

Zoey walked over to the mailman and took their tiny stack of mail from his hands. 

As the mailman drove off, Seth and Zoey walked inside so they could go through the envelopes. 

"This ones for you, junk, junk, me, junk." Zoey tossed Seth's envelope to him, kept hers to herself, and threw the rest away. 

Zoey scanned the envelope, only to see that it was from the apartment complex that she'll be moving into later in the week. She grabbed the letter opener that was attached as a magnet on the fridge and opened the letter. She read the letter carefully to herself. 

"... and therefore, we ask that you accept your new roommate without difficulty." 

"Seth?" Zoey turned to Seth with wide eyes. 

"I- I now have a roommate."