Part 9

Chapter 9

Abby couldn’t keep the smile off her face.  After their small chat, he had asked her to hang out with him for the rest of the day.  Not being able to say no, she had stayed.  Watching him walk around his shop, Abby had to admit that she was happy she stayed.  A large smile was on his face as he weaved through the customers.  He was in his element.

There was no hiding his face in the shadows, no avoiding their eyes.  He stood their proudly, charm radiating off him.  It was amazing seeing him at his shop.  Why had he hid from her?  If she would have seen him like this, there was no way that she would have denied him at least a date.

“Whatcha looking at?”

Abby let out a tiny squeak and glared at her friend.  “You scared me.”

Cece just rolled her eyes.  “I’m wearing heels.  You could hear me a mile away if you weren’t so distracted.”

“He draws the eye,” Abby said with a smile as she looked back at him.

“That he does,” Cece replied.  There was something in her voice that made Abby glance her way.  Cece was glaring at the nearby women.  Following Cece’s gaze, she watched the women preen as Lance walked by.

Letting out a laugh, she shook her head.  “It’s not like he can help it.”

“True,” Cece agreed. “but that doesn’t mean that they should keep staring at him like that.  He’s yours.”

“Wait, you know were just dating, right?”

Cece shot her a disbelieving look.  “You’ll be moved in together in a week, married in six months, and pregnant in a year.”

“I don’t think it will take another six months to get her pregnant,” a voice said as arms wrapped around her stomach.

Abby looked down at the arms.  He didn’t really mean that did he?  “Lance…”

“If you want to have kids sooner than that, we can.”

“Lance-” she started again only to be interrupted by Cece.

“I think she wants four, two girls and two boys.”

“Wait,” Abby mumbled, but the two paid her no mind.

Lance let out a chuckle.  “Only four?”

“Well,” Cece began, “I guess she could have more, but if you do, the two of you would have to move.”

“Or we could build onto her house,” Lance offered.

A thoughtful expression crossed Cece’s face.  “I know some carpenters.”

“Guys,” Abby said in attempt to stop them.

Lance just continued with the previous conversation.  “I would have to buy the land beside her house though.  A yard is something that is needed.  Plus, kids like dogs.”

“Very true,” Cece agreed.  “Now, where will the two of you get married?  I think that your place would be a good place.”

“In the garden.”

“Under the little arbor with the roses?”

“That’s the one,” Lance said wile nodding his head against Abby’s shoulder.

Abby attempted to tell them to stop, to tell them to slow down, but she couldn’t.  Her chest tightened, the room began to swim.  She needed out.  She needed to get away from this, away from the walls that were closing it.  Grabbing at Lance’s arms, she flung them off.  The yells that followed her out the door were ignored.  She yanked at the door, until the thing finally opened.

Her body made contact with something.  Glancing up, she looked at the man she had run into.  He looked down at her with an expression she had never seen on his face before.  He actually looked worried, even with his swollen eye.

“Abby, what’s wrong?”

She shook her head, finally feeling the tears that were flowing down her cheeks.  “I can’t breathe.”

He snagged her hand.  “You’re just having a panic attack.  Come on, I’ll take you home.”

“No,” she mumbled while attempting to pull her hand away.  Immediately, he let go.  Looking behind her, his face turned to one of understanding.

“They are coming behind you, Abby.  If you want to get away for a while, I’ll take you where you want to go.  I promise, no funny stuff.  Your man has a wicked right swing, and I would prefer to stay away from it.”

Her chest rose and fell rapidly.  The panic that she was feeling doubled as she thought of how close they were.  They wanted her to more too quickly.  She wasn’t ready though.  Nodding her hand, she took his proffered hand.  Soon they were standing outside of his red sports car.  Pulling open the door, he helped her in.  The door closed with a bang, making her jump.  What was wrong with her?  She had never been this weak before.

“There is a paper bag in the back.  Get it and start breathing in it.  If that doesn’t help, I’m taking you to the hospital.”

She reached back into the familiar vehicle and snagged the bag.  Placing it over her mouth, she began taking deep, even breaths.  The pressure in her chest began to dissipate.  The walls she felt were closing in, disappeared.  It was just her, sitting in the soft leather seat, on the way to who knew where, with her ex.

“Thanks, Paul.”

He glanced over at her with a tiny smile.  “No problem.  You want me to take you home?”

She shook her head while looking out the window.  “Take me somewhere else.”

“Whatever you need, Abby, but you know you need to go back?  The man loves you.  I might be a heartless asshole, but I can recognize love when I see it.”

“I know.  I know; I just need a minute alone.  I can’t do it.  You know that, Paul.  I can’t handle the pressure.”

“You can handle it,” he whispered.  “If you’re running from him, then you haven’t found a man worth staying for.  It wasn’t me, and if you can’t stay, then it isn’t him.”

She kept silent as she contemplated his words.  Was he right?  If she couldn’t handle the commitment he symbolized, should she really be with him?  Was Lance the right man for her?