Chapter 2

Paige POV

The next halfhour consisted of Abby yelling corrections at everybody when their picture showed up on the pyramid. And of course, Maddie was at the top, smiling that "ambitious" smile of hers. I could just imagine Mrs. Lukasiak rolling her eyes dramatically for the show.

I was on the third spot on the pyramid, right next to Chloe who was second. I was happy with my position. I was so busy basking in the sun of the adulation that I had received, that Abby snapped at me.

"Paige! Are you even paying attention?"

"What? Oh, um, yeah I was." I said quickly.

"Well, as I was saying, we are going to have three solos this week. Maddie, Chloe, and Kendall are going to have those solos." All three of them smiled and I hugged Chloe while everyone clapped. "Maddie, your solo is going to be a lyrical number called Glory. Chloe your solo is going to be a jazz dance called Flaunt. Kendall your dance is going to be a lyrical/contemporary solo called Forever." I saw Jill and Christi exchange a confused look. "We are also going to have a trio this week. Maddie, Chloe, and Paige will be in the trio." Abby paused. Why? Then I saw it.

"Um Abby?" Mrs. Lukasiak asked, her hand in the air. "Um, Jill and I were wondering, why does Chloe have a jazz solo and Kendall has lyrical/contemporary? It's almost like their dances were mixed up."

"No, they're not, Christi," Abby said, trying really hard to be patient. "I did this on purpose. I want the girls to be a little out of their comfort zones this competition."

"But Maddie isn't out of her comfort zone." Christi argued. Abby held her hand up as though to say, Talk to the hand, Christi.

Maddie POV

I don't understand why Christi started arguing with Abby about Chloe's and Kendall's solos. If I were them, I would just be happy that my daughter even got a solo. I mean, if you watch the way they dance, I would be worried. But why am I even thinking about this? I don't have to worry because Abby knows I do my best when I'm dancing alone, without anyone to mess the dance up.

"So anyway, the trio is going to be a jazzy number called Too Good For You. The group dance will have everyone in it except Mackenzie." Abby said. Mackenzie looked like a rain cloud was hanging over her head, putting a huge damper on her mood. "Mackenzie, I am taking you out of the group dance because I want you to focus more on your technique without the completion getting in the way. I still want you to go though, yes?"

Mackenzie nodded solemnly. Yeah, Abby's right, Kenzie should be taken out of the group. Only because she needed to work on her technique. Maybe I could get her to let me help her improve it.

"Moms, get upstairs! Girls, start stretching! We're going to rehearse the group." Abby screeched.