Chapter Five

Pain; flaming agony rent through a heaviness that suffused her rousing consciousness. In severe contrast, she floated in frozen darkness, unable to move, unable to think beyond the blinding sensations. Pulsating with each annoyingly consistent beat of her heart, the blaze drove away the fading tendrils of blessed obscurity.

   Her body convulsed of its own accord, expelling acidic liquid from her inflamed throat and nostrils. She gasped in shaky breaths and her world swooned, swirling and rocking dizzyingly around her. She reached for something solid, anything to ground her while her surroundings tilted and rolled nauseatingly.

   Something soft caressed her fingers and immediately waves of soft, compassionate warmth flooded her. She dove deeper into the pleasant tide, fleeing the terrifying cold of her solitary existence. The painful searing fell to a swell of gentle protectiveness which she gladly immersed herself in completely. Something familiar and unwanted emerged briefly but was quickly squelched, flickering from her mind just as fast. She curled into the tender warmth, only vaguely aware of her own body's discomforts.

   Had her forest come to console her? Only her river gave her such tenderness. Only her stoic guardians felt such protectiveness when she touched their hearts.

   Strong arms wrapped around her, cradling her. She smiled upwards at the one who held her. Golden locks, framed by the halo of the sun, draped the sides of a shadowed face, tickling her exposed skin. She giggled, squirming beneath their caress. She loved this woman. Her arms protected her, soothed her. She would always be safe with her.

   Splashing behind her landed tiny droplets along her skin, inciting another fit of mirth. She wriggled around to peer out at the rippling surface of the pool. The woman set her down, letting her crawl out to peek slowly into its depths. Reaching down, she splashed at her own reflection, laughing until she looked down at her hand. The water didn't slide off like it was supposed to. It clung to her, thick red droplets dripping from her fingers. Lowering her gaze again, she stared at the woman who lay before her, covered in the red water. She leaned forward to tug on her arm but rough hands scooped her up. She screamed, writhing in their uncomfortable grasp.

   Something twisted around her legs, confining her. She flailed her arms, trying desperately to flee her captor. She didn't want to go with them. They would do bad things to her, she knew. She wanted to stay. Go away...Go away!

   Her fist connected with flesh and she heard a harsh grunt before strong hands wrapped around her wrists, pinning her. She cried out as pain shot through her upper left arm, rendering her temporarily paralyzed as she tried to breathe through it. Her heart pounded in her breast, punctuating the high pitched ringing in her ears. The hands loosened on her wrists but did not entirely release her. Through them, she felt...worry?

   She blinked her eyes open, confused. When had she closed her eyes? At the sight of the unfamiliar man hovering above her, the panic which had begun to fade with the details of the nightmare kicked in full force. Before she could continue her struggle, though, he quickly backed away, holding his hands up.

   She cringed as her body seemed to catch fire at her slightest movement. Regardless, she pushed herself up to a sitting position, glaring at her unwanted visitor. He smiled, wincing when it strained a fresh cut on his lip. Even as she watched, a drop swelled and slid down his chin. Unnamed dread burrowed into the pit of her stomach at the sight. Her eyes followed it until he wiped it away with the back of his hand.

  "You have quite a swing," he mused.

   I did that? She felt the blood drain from her face, recalling the vague sensation of her fist striking flesh. She scrambled backwards until she could go no farther. I hit him. He'll punish me. I didn't mean to...She huddled against the soft wall she had found, her knees pulled in tight, her arms shielding her head.