Chapter 5: I Take "Dog Person" To A Whole New Level

Sipping a freshly steeped tea, I glanced out the large kitchen window to the backyard, dotted with wild pansies and clover blossoms. Memory was facing Triumph as he explained what he was going to have Memory do.

My mother sat across the table from me with a curious smile and her face resting on one palm. Her eyes were focused intently on the two boys.

"Memory had a small nervous breakdown last night."

She said all of a sudden.

I glanced at her in surprise, then asked,

"Why?"

"He was incredibly overwhelmed by the whole 'you've got terrifying powers, you need to use them to save lives' thing."

She replied softly.

I nodded slowly. I myself had been on the edge of lashing out at others after discovering that I was a Fallen. It wasn't that odd to discover Memory's reaction to much more substantial news.

I glanced back at the two boys to see Triumph effortlessly shift form into a raven the size of a dog with glittering green eyes and silver talons like steel. I choked on my tea when I gasped, jumping to my feet in awe. Memory seemed equally dumbfounded, then asked something.

Triumph's beak moved, oddly enough, and it seemed from this distance that he was speaking to Memory.

I stood, coughing to clear my lungs of the hot tea I had so elegantly inhaled. Once I did that, I stood in front of the window and watched as the two brothers conversed.

Memory seemed to be arguing against doing something while Triumph insisted on it. Finally, Memory let out a very loud groan of exasperation and snapped something at his brother. Triumph nodded at Memory, transforming back into human form, then watched as Memory closed his eyes.

After a few seconds, Memory furrowed his brow and gritted his teeth. I was slowly growing concerned and confused until it hit a peak. That peak was when Memory's eyes flew wide open and he doubled over, clutching his stomach and shuddering.

I dropped the mug I was holding with the sound of glass shattering, breaking into a dead sprint. I didn't care that I had a few ceramic shards in my foot, I just needed to know what was happening to my idiot.

I skidded to a halt about five feet away from Memory, due to the fact that Triumph had stepped between us and barred my path. I glared at him and snapped,

"What the hell did you do?!"

"I didn't do anything. It's just a bit of a rejection response. It happens if you don't shift form often enough. Your body rejects the animal form."

He replied gently, his eyes still concerned as Memory let out a small cry.

I clenched my fists, watching as Memory collapsed on his side. He twisted onto his back and clawed at his abdomen as if attempting to rip himself open. Red marks formed on his skin wherever he dug at himself.

"Don't you care?! He's suffering!!"

I shouted.

Triumph glanced over his shoulder at his brother with worry in his eyes. Without moving to help, he cried,

"Of course I do! I can't do anything for him right now, though!"

I could hear my mother rushing out behind me but she, too, stopped. I gritted my teeth and hit an all-time high anger level. Before Triumph could react, I split my right knuckle to the bone on his teeth. He staggered backwards, clutching his mouth with a moan.

"YOU FUCKING TRASH!!"

I snarled.

His eyes were now incredibly wide as he stared at me in shock. My mother grabbed me from behind and started dragging me backwards as I had begun advancing on Triumph.