CHAPTER EIGHT

and Gabby spun round to find Nik stood there looking gorgeous and angry as hell.

"What are you doing here?" she asked softly aware of her heart leaping at the sight of him.

"I think the better question is what the hell are you doing on this godforsaken island in the middle of nowhere?" he demanded and she laughed at that.

"It's hardly the middle of nowhere," she said and he glowered at her.

"You left me!" he accused and she shrugged.

"Yet here you are," she said with a smile and his eyes narrowed on her.

He didn't know what it was but something had changed with Gabby. He'd expected her to be apologetic that she'd left him or furious that he'd found her. Instead she was practically laughing and joking with him. It made him feel disconcerted and he didn't like it. All this time he'd always known where he stood with Gabby and had fought for every piece of affection he had received from her. He had been expecting a fight to convince her to return with him. What he hadn't expected was this new relaxed version of his wife.

"What's changed?" he asked suspiciously and she smiled at him as she moved closer to him.

"I have," she said and she moved on to her toes as she leaned closer and captured his lips with her own. He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her and pull her closer. He had never been able to resist Gabby and it didn't matter how angry he was at the stunt she had pulled he still wanted her. He couldn't get enough of her. Lifting her up Nik was unprepared for Gabby to wrap her long legs around his waist as she deepened the kiss. He wasn't even aware of having moved until he slowly pulled away and realised he had backed Gabby up against the wooden balcony.

"You left me," he accused again, though admittedly his accusation lost a lot of its heat considering that her kiss had left him breathless.

"I'm sorry," she said softly as she ran a hand through his hair.

"What?" he asked certain that he must have misunderstood. Gabby had fought him on everything since the day they married so why would she suddenly be apologising now?

"I'm sorry I left," she said and he was stunned by her admission.

"You're sorry?" he asked in disbelief and she winced.

"I shouldn't have left. I should have talked to you first and tried to explain why I had to leave," she said softly.

"You had to leave?" he questioned and she gave a small smile.

"I couldn't have stayed," she replied.

Nik didn't think he had ever been more confused in his life. He had thought that he and Gabby were finally making progress in their relationship and then she had left him. He had been prepared to deal with Gabby's anger but she was acting completely out of character and it made him feel out of his depth.

"You couldn't stay? Why not?" he asked and knew she must be aware of the hurt that had sounded in his voice.

"Because we've never even had a proper discussion about our marriage and I don't think that I can just jump in to this without working some things out," she informed him and he frowned.

"What needs working out?" he asked curiously and she sighed.

"Well for one thing we don't communicate enough. I have no idea about anything in your life outside the house and you have no idea about mine," she said and he frowned as he brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.