Chapter 63

||She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell.||

The jet landed ten miles from Trask's bunker, hidden deep in the woods. The land was unfamiliar, and Wanda's eyes scanned the surroundings as she stepped out of the jet. Behind every tree, she worried a Sentinel awaited.

The mutants followed Emma off of the jet, all of them scattered behind her, their fists clenched and ready to fight.

The bunker was 10 miles ahead, but they were prepared for anything.

"Pietro, give us a quick sweep ahead," Steve ordered, and Pietro stretched his arms before speeding off. Everyone waited, watching as his blue stream faded out with the wind. 

He returned a minute later, giving Steve a thumbs up. 

"Everyone spread out like we planned. Once we're close enough to see the bunker, we'll get into positions with the others. Keep quiet, and do not attack until you have my order. Let's go." 

The mutants followed Emma, and from above, Wanda spotted Catseye jumping off of one tree to another. Steve and Natasha walked ahead of everyone, and the twins were asked to stay behind the group, in case someone, or something, decided to attack from behind. 

As everyone began to disappear into the woods towards the bunker, Wanda realized that Bruce was still in the jet. He was sitting down near the back opening, his shoulders hunched  and his head down. Before following the rest of the team, Wanda turned back and took a seat in front of him. 

"You're not coming?" 

"I'm hoping I don't need to turn green." He lifted his head to look at her, and she could see the shadows beneath his eyes, making it obvious that he he was more than just exhausted. "Be safe out there, okay? Don't fight on anger, fight with your mind. Leave the anger part for your brother." 

"I'll try my best."

Behind her, the team began to vanish into the thick woods, except for Pietro, who stood a few feet away, waiting for her. 

"Go. I'll be here if you need me."

Wanda stood back up, but before leaving, she bent down and gave Bruce a kiss on the cheek. To him, it might have been a sweet gesture, but to her, it was intended as a thank you. 

Quietly, she ran up to catch up to Pietro, and together, they moved through the woods in silence. They had a long way to go before reaching the bunker, but the heavy feeling in her chest proved to her just how nervous she really was. All of the bottled up anger she felt towards Ultron and Trask would in no way prepare her for what she was about to face. 

"Deep breaths, Wanda. You look like you're about to throw up." Pietro waited for his sister as he small steps reached him, but she didn't look up at him as they began to walk. Pietro was smart enough to know when something was bothering her, but under the circumstances, what bothered her was pretty obvious. 

"Can you blame me for being nervous?" she asked him.

"No, but I can blame you for your hair," he chimed, and she reached up to touch her thick hair. 

"My hair? What are you talking about?" 

"It's a mess," he said, reaching over to fix the wild strands. Her face grew hot in embarrassment, but she was sure she had combed her hair after leaving Steve's room. "Remind me to cut your hair when we get back." 

She chuckled, thinking back to the time when she let Pietro cut a piece of her hair when they were younger. Instead of cutting her tips, he butchered the ends, forcing her mother to cut off a large portion to even it out again.