Chapter 24 - I Adore Your Voice

"...I think we went into thirty different stores."

"Mmm...not sure there are thirty stores at the mall that sell men's clothing," Sydney laughed.

"Well, maybe not thirty, but quite a few." On Sunday night, Nathan's voice came through Sydney's phone, relaxing every muscle in her body. "It was..." He sighed. "Syd, it sounds stupid, but I had the best time with her."

"That doesn't sound stupid at all, Nathan, and I couldn't be happier for you." She paused for a moment. "I didn't...spoil your evening, did I? It wasn't my intention to just..."

"You only made it better," he interrupted. "Syd, I'm going to prove your list right, I swear."

"Nathan..."

"Please let me finish." He was nearly pleading with her. She stayed silent and let him continue. "I spent most of my adult life being unhappy. One day I promise to let you in on all of the gory details, but you need to understand that Susan is the only thing that has ever kept me going...until now." He breathed deeply. "I don't know what it is about being with you, but you just..." He stopped, not wanting to come off needy by choosing the wrong words.

"It's natural," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm happy," he confessed. "Even if we weren't, you know."

"Having freakishly amazing sex?" she asked, trying to lighten things.

"Yeah, that. Sydney, when I get up in the morning the first thing I think about is getting to have lunch with you."

"I meant it when I said I was terrified."

"I know you did, I am too. I don't want either of us getting hurt."

"We're already beyond that point."

"I know."

"What do we do?"

She could hear a smile in his voice when he answered. "We try...we enjoy."

"Oh, I've enjoyed myself plenty." She heard him chuckle on the other end of the phone. "Nathan?"

"Yeah?"

"If we're going to do...if we're moving forward, there's something I want to ask, but I don't want to offend you."

"Anything, Syd."

Sydney took a long, deep breath. She felt guilty, but something had been nagging at her. "How long has it been since you had a drink? Please don't think that I think anything's...no, that's not what I...you've just come so close to...shit, I'm sorry, I..." She hated how much she stammered, but she couldn't find the right words.

"Just over four months," he said softly. She heard him swallow. "I know it's a big thing to have looming over us, especially with what you've gone through with Arlen's sister, but I promise, I'm not going to slip."

"You can't make that promise." There were tears in her voice. "What you can promise is that if things get bad like they did the other night...you'll call me."

"That's a terrible burden," he croaked.

"I consider it a privilege." And just like that, the topic was put to rest. "Have I told you I adore your voice?" They continued to talk long into the night.