Begin Butterscotch

Butterscotch simply was bored. Not in the way that she didn't have any toys to play with, like a typical child her age living in stonetown, she had many toys. Wooden, glass, puzzles and sewing kits, even stuffed animals! She was simply unhappy. With her short and bothersome brother riding his bike and flinging chunks of mud on the neighbor's windows, and her tall and beautiful sister attending college courses, she had no one to play with her.
Butterscotch was not short and bothersome, nor tall and attractive. She looked nothing like her siblings, much less her parents. For one fact, Butterscotch's parents had given her siblings perfectly normal names; April and Samuel, but somehow Butterscotch had been stuck with a name her schoolmates were prone to teasing.
Not only that, but she was the only one in her family with dark chocolate colored curls framing her face, whereas the rest of her family was very, very blonde with perfectly straight hair. Butterscotch had insisted on keeping her curls up in a braid daily, which took a long time to do in the morning, and an even longer time to undo at night without pulling multiple chunks of thick hair out of her scalp.
Because of that, Butterscotch was forced to leave it down during the day.
The dark haired girl sat in her room, clutching a book about wizards and witches flying in brooms in magical schools. Although her parents forbade her from reading the book, she snuck into her parent's room every so often to take a peek when no one was home.
Just then, a small gust of sweet-smelling wind blew from the open window, pushing the lace curtains into Butterscotch's face. And that, my friends, is how our heroine's tale begins.