1: Celebrity Scandal

Dedicated to the 1D fandom, who gave me the idea with other fan-fics and imagines.

Part One: Just Another Nerd

1: Celebrity Scandal

   “What now?” I demanded of the most popular girl at school, Georgia Rose, as I was pulled into the cover of the first floor bathroom across from our school principal’s office, where she had texted me during my new last period history class to meet her.

   My best friend tossed her blonde locks over her shoulder, and spoke the word, “Listen,” quietly.

   From where we stood, just at the doorframe of the girls’ room, without even having to stretch out my senses, I heard the noise from across the hallway, muffled through the wooden door marked with our principal’s name and title. I couldn’t mistake it for something other than what it was. It was crying, and shouting. Some kid was being punished.

   “Who’s in there?” I asked, pushing my black glasses up the bridge of my nose.

   Georgia Rose shrugged her shoulders with unknowing, pursed lips in response. “I don’t know,” she purred, “Whoever’s in there has been for the past half hour.”

   I raised my eyebrows at the blonde. “You’ve been here for half an hour?” I questioned. No wonder her grades were low.

   She gave me another shoulder shrug. She stepped away from me and back to the doorway, crouching at the wall. Her hand beckoned me to join her. Willingly, I took the opposite side of the open door, just as the portal across the hall opened, and the shouting and crying grew louder.

   Tears in his eyes, hidden behind thick framed glasses, came out a boy with greasy, slicked back, brown hair. His pale face – which looked like the “Before” shot in an acne commercial – was flushed and stained wet, and had a large, purple bruise on his cheek. He was the new boy in school, arriving just last week when his family had moved here to L.A. from some place in England (though, strangely, he’d adopted an American accent very quick). Emerging from the principal’s office was the new nerd in our school – and, sadly, in my math class – Marcel. He removed his spectacles and wiped away tears from his eyes.

   “How’d he get in trouble?” Georgia Rose asked with a snicker, “Too smart for all his classes?”

   I rolled my eyes at Georgia Rose’s less-than-hilarious humour and returned my gaze to the nerd, who had slumped down next to the wall. From within the office, I heard, screamed in a deep, thick British accent, “This bullying better stop! That’s my fucking brother! Do something about it, or I will!”

   Out the door of the principal’s office, trailed by the man in charge, stormed a young man with brown curls, and perfect skin covered by tattoos. His eyes were green, I knew for sure, even though they were covered by shades. Georgia Rose let out a shriek, forcing us both to duck so we could not be seen by the three boys in the hall. This man was Harry Styles, the youngest member of the world famous boy band, One Direction.

   In the middle of an assurance from Mr. Jeffery, our school’s principal, that we were cracking down on bullying, their words stopped as they heard Georgia Rose’s loud shriek and my gasp. I made my breathing quiet – though I could say nothing of my loud, pounding heart – until their words picked up again.

   “I can assure you, Mr. Styles,” Mr. Jeffery began again, “We are cracking down on bullying, and we are working our hardest to make this a safe school.”

   “Well work harder,” he spat in our principal’s face.

   As Mr. Jeffery retreated into his office, stunned at the tone used on him by the beautiful boy with the curls and a voice so angelic it made me melt and stream tears, Harry crouched beside the nerd, who met his gaze.

   “Listen,” Harry breathed, “If anyone lays a finger on you again, you tell me, and I will get my entire fandom to fight for you, okay?”

   Marcel pushed his taped glasses up the bridge of his nose and gave an abrupt nod to the star in front of him. “O-okay,” he muttered through a sob in the nasally stutter I’d been hearing the past seven days in math class.

   Harry rose and stuck his hand out to the nerd on the ground, and helped him stand on his feet as well. His tattooed left arm slipped over the nerd’s shoulder and they walked away together as the last school bell rang and children began pouring out of their classes.

   I sat back against the wall of the bathroom and Georgia Rose did the same, stunned at what we had just witnessed.

   “That didn’t just happen, did it?” Georgia Rose asked, breathlessly. Her hazel eyes were open wide. “Harry Styles is that geek’s brother?!” she squeaked.

   I nodded, slowly, unsure also of what I had just witnessed. Even if I had bothered to learn Marcel’s last name, I never would have believed he was the brother of Harry Styles!

   In my mind, I brought up a two pictures, one of Marcel and one of Harry. Their hair colors, skin tones eyes and bone structures were the same, but, just judging by everything I knew of them, their personalities were anything but similar.

   In every interview I’d ever seen with Harry Styles mentioning his family, I’d gotten information about his mother, and sister, and father, and an abundance of other characters important to him, but never once had he mentioned a brother.

   Georgia Rose had risen to her feet while I was thinking. She’d also been ranting, going on about how a nerd such as Marcel could possibly be related to a teen heartthrob like Harry Styles. Her eyes grew wide and bore through me. “Do you know what this means?” she demanded.

   I shook my head.

   “We just need to get close to that little dork, and we can have any boy of One Direction we want!” she squeaked. A little jump and the short claps of her hands followed this explanation of her master plan.

   “That would be using him,” I stated, using the wall to pull myself to my feet. Pushing the glasses up the bridge of my nose, I asked, “Isn’t that a little unethical?”

   Her eyes narrowed and her lips pursed. “No,” she said with a hair toss.

   “Unethical means ‘morally wrong,’” I justified.

   “Well, yeah,” she admitted. Her hazel eyes rolled as she said, “But who cares?”

   “Harry, obviously,” I asserted, “You heard him. If we go through with it, and he finds out we’ve been messing with his brother, we’ll receive death threats from our entire fandom, like anyone else who’s fucked with them in the past.”

   A sigh escaped her red lips, along with another irritated eye roll. She muttered the word, “Fine,” and escaped my flawless reasoning by leaving me alone in the girls’ room.

   Since Marcel had arrived a week ago, he’d shown his intelligence verbally in class instead of on paper – a massive “don’t” in our school’s history – and, outside of class, had been beaten, taunted and tossed into the dumpster out back. I guess both he, and his family had had enough. This was another reason why I had refused to take advantage of him, even if it meant the possibility of maybe meeting one of my five idols.

   I had to admit, Marcel was too nice to deserve most of the crap dished out on him on a daily basis. Maybe, yes he did deserve a girlfriend, but it would never be me. He was too nerdy for someone in the “in” crowd like me. He’d find romantic love – someone who wasn’t just using him to meet his family and their friends for fame – but not in me.