38: Send

38: Send

   “Are we still going to the First and Formal, Saturday?” Georgia Rose asked me, voice laced with static as it came through the speaker of my cell phone.

   As she spoke, I was already wrestling with racks upon racks of clothes in my closet, holding my cell phone between my ear and my shoulder. I was already digging for a dress, but ultimately coming up short.

   “Why wouldn’t we?” I demanded.

   “Because someone decided to break the laws of the universe and now popularity doesn’t exist!” she declared, “You ruined the high school experience!” Her next words came in muffled as she spoke through a mouthful of the cappuccino ice cream she was shoving down her throat in place of her usual tube of cookie dough. “You ruined it! We are now no better than your boyfr – sorry, ex before he went mental!”

   “I think it will be better this way,” I stated, eyeing and feeling the skirt of a long, green dress hanging by spaghetti straps in my closet, then promptly tossing it aside as a reject with every other dress I owned, leaving me without options. “Are you doing anything tomorrow?” I asked the blonde.

   “School, then just gonna eat ice cream and watch reruns of Glee, why?”

   “I need a dress.”

   “Mall, three o’clock,” she spoke, “If you’re late I’m ditching you for cookie dough.” At that I was hung up on.

   I tossed my phone on my bed carelessly and worked to shut away the mess I’d made in my closet from the world. When I was done hiding the monstrosity, I flopped down along with my phone.

   Though no matter what I wasn’t going to miss the First and Formal, that dance still reminded me of the promise of forever. He’d asked me to go with him the day the dance was announced, which was also the day before I had a tequila hangover. It was the evening we’d sang together.

   “Oh, take hold of my heart. Show me you love me. Forever.”

   Forever was uncertain, but love was something stronger than uncertainty. Love was something I felt for Marcel. All I needed was him to feel it back again. So what if I was…afraid to say it back? I needed him, and I admitted that now!

   My possibly delusional, mental rants ceased and I was awakened from my thoughts by a buzzing. I checked my phone seeing a new text from Tara. It was just something stupid: “Which shoes go with this dress?” If she wanted fashion advice, she was better off texting the blonde elbow-deep in a tub of frozen dairy.

   I went back into the list of my conversations, seeing a list of the obvious: Georgia Rose, Riley, Tara and a few others who were popular when popularity actually existed within our school a few days ago; then there was also my mother and father, who I barely talked to; and my conversations with Marcel, which I was keeping no matter what. However, another conversation stood out amongst these typical ones. How many girls had Harry Styles’ number in their phones anyway?

   The conversation consisted of only simplistic words about the Best Song Ever video and our plans to watch it. Would I still be able to without sleeping with Marcel – especially considering the way I’d hurt him? This was only half of what part of me wanted to find out, so I typed out something simple and, through my sick stomach, pressed “send”:

   Hey.

   So far, so good. All I needed to do was wait for the response.

   Hey. – H xx

   At least he texted me back. If I’d chosen the conversation with Marcel, I knew I’d be ignored, or at least sent back something along the lines of “Leave me alone.” But that wasn’t the way I wanted him to see me. I didn’t want Marcel to see me as a conniving bitch only after his brother’s band. I wanted him! He’d shown me so much and gave me confidence. I’d broke past the barriers around the Hollywood sign, I’d snuck into a bar and sang in front of its patrons, hell, I’d given him my virginity! Why had I been so hesitant? He was more than my friend, and I’d even begun to admit it! Why was I so afraid to say I loved him?

   I couldn’t keep Harry waiting any longer, so, song lyrics playing through my head, as everything finally clicked, I texted him back.

   You probably hate me too, right?

   Why would I hate you? – H xx

   Because, I screwed up and now your brother hates me! I swear to God I wasn’t using him! I love him!

   You know. You were the first person he’s really trusted in nearly three years. – H xx

   I want that trust back.

   It’ll be hard to get it. – H xx

   I’ll do whatever it takes. Would telling him I love him do anything?

   Not unless you prove it. – H xx

   I’ve been thinking of ways to. I had an idea, but I don’t think it’ll be possible.

   The lads and I hate seeing him like this. He’s been so…distant. We’ll help you if you need us. – H xx

   Perfect. That’s exactly what I need.

   Text me details and we’ll do whatever you need us to. BTW, when are you thinking of doing this? – H xx

   The sooner, the better. I was thinking the First and Formal Saturday night. Can you get him to go…even if you have to drag him kicking and screaming?

   Of course. – H xx

   But, don’t tell him what I’m doing.

   Got it. Our little secret. – H xx