Burden

I'm leaned against the wall in the hallway in the House of Memories, clutching my chest.

The pain is still real, my breath comes in short, ragged bursts. My brain swirls with the reality of what the Germans did to the world. I knew the story from school, but until today, it was only words on a page, nothing more.

I suddenly am aware that I am alone. James the Soldier has disappeared, no doubt in the same way that Miles the Magician did.

I use the wall to slide up to standing. I'm unsteady on my feet, I still can feel the mud and gore clinging to my legs.

Poor James. He cannot rest and yet he's trapped in such a horrible memory. I have to find a way to help him.

I try and remember what Grandfather told me about how to help the lost spirits. Something about James is different than Grandfather or Miles. His presence had nearly crushed me, just like the woman in the cemetery. He must be one of the dangerous ones.

He made a promise, just before he died to his friend. I can't compete the promise because that's already been done, the war is over and the Germans have been punished for their crimes.

But maybe I can tell George's family how brave he had been.

I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I don't know anything about George other than that he died in 1945 and he was an American soldier. But there were countless men, women, and children who died then, in that place, at that time. And any number of them could be named George.

If only I knew how to get James back to talk to me. Grandfather tried to tell me how to seek out certain spirits, but he was already getting lost in his eternal memory, and never was able to finish.

I fall back to the floor, dejected. How am I going to do this by myself? A flash of anger crosses my mind, how could Mother keep Grandfather away from me? I need him!

As quickly as the anger came, it gives way to understanding. I know why she didn't want him around me, this has already proved to be a dangerous and painful gift to culture.

I sigh and close my eyes. I have to do this on my own. I can't leave Grandfather trapped here, I can't leave any of these people. It's my duty as someone with the Sight to become a Seeker. I was born for this.

I think back as hard as I can, trying to recall any piece of useful information that would help me find James Rockland again.

Just before he finally materialized, there was a moment when I could hear all the lost souls around me calling out in agony, begging for help. I somehow managed to find one voice among the clamor and focus on it, resulting in discovering James.

I open my eyes again. I can't do this in the hallway, it will be too easy to get caught.

I creep down the hallway and go into a new room. As I close the door behind me, I take in my surroundings.

It appears to be a library, the walls of the small room are lined with dusty bookshelves. An overstuffed green chair sits alone in the corner, patched up with pieces of old clothes.

Other than that, the room is quiet and empty. The only light comes from a tiny window high up in the wall, letting the moonlight stream in.

I sit on the floor in the middle of the room and close my eyes. I slow my breathing and try and relax.

Slowly, I begin to feel an electric buzz under my skin. The murmur of voices crying out begins to come into focus, making it difficult to stay calm.

A flood of emotions suddenly hit me, as if I am feeling what every single spirit nearby is feeling. It enough to overwhelm me and make me break the trance.

I open my eyes and fall forward, gasping. Tears sting the back of my eyes, I don't know if I can do this. It's too much to handle. I'm just a kid, and I have nobody to help me.

I curl into a ball, hugging my knees tightly to my chest. I stare out the window at the thickly falling snow. It sparkles as it catches the moon light.

Tears slip from the corners of my eyes, falling into my ears. As my sobs slow, a heavy exhaustion falls over me. A chill creeps into my body, making me shiver from the drying tears on my face.

My eyes grow heavy as I lay on the floor, unmoving. I've calmed down enough to think clearly, but my body is so tired that I still don't move.

In a single night, I've watched my wife die, I've accidentally killed a child, and I lost my best friend and my life to the horrors of World War 2. It's a lot to handle for one person.

I let sleep overtake me, praying that the weariness washing over me will also wash away the heavy burden on my shoulders, at least for a little while.