Chapter Two

The end of the day didn't come fast enough, in last period Marcel sat in his desk in the front of the class, English, his favorite "Can anyone tell me what they think Shakespeare meant in his quote on page 172?" Asks Mr.Edmond in his thick accent, a few various hands raise around the room.

Marcel raises his hand but lowers it when he hears Maria, a blonde haired girl he's been going to school with for as long as he can remember, hiss behind him between obnoxiously chewing her gum "could you stop being such a loser for once in your life?", Marcel sinks down into his seat,feeling cold stares from around the room like knives against his back.

Mr.Edmond continues to teach the class about three other Shakespeare quotes, quotes Marcel had already memorized. Marcel looks out the window at the tree where he had almost had his ribs broken about three hours ago,he didn't realise how much it really had hurt until now, almost everytime he moved he could feel something, like a pinch under his skin.

It wasn't the first time Jake had aimed for the particular spot beneath his lungs, maybe Jake knew about Marcel's asthma, he had to by now, he had seen Marcel's inhaler fall from his backpack, when he decided to throw it onto the roof of the school.

"Mr.Styles," Mr.Edmond says, slapping his ruler down on the top of Marcel's desk,"since you have decided my class is boring enough to daydream in, why don't you tell me what you think Shakespeare meant, in his quote 'A fool thinks himself to be wise,while a wise man knows himself as a fool'" Mr.Edmond asks Marcel, where the entire class now had their eyes locked.

"I-I think that..that um, Shakespeare meant um, he meant that if a wise man, is truely wise..um, he wouldn't think himself as wise,he would-h-he would think of himself as a fool, bound to mistakes and bearing imperfection?" Marcel says, questioning his awnser, how was he supposed to know what Shakespeare meant?

"Very good" Mr.Edmond says, lifting his ruler off of the surface of Marcel's desk "that's it for today class, i'll see you all tomorrow, same time,same place" he says and without a second to spare the bell rings signaling them to go home. Marcel makes his way to the hallway, being extra careful to stay out of everyone's way.

Marcel gets to the door, as he pushes it open,a shove from behind him sends him stumbling forward,his glasses falling off and plummeting to the ground, he picks himself up from the pavement but his glasses lay there broken into four pieces, he quickly picks them up and jams them into the pocket of his trousers.

He hurries home, to find his step father asleep on the couch and a note from his mum on the counter, 'Gemma and I went shopping, we'll be back by 6, food's in the fridge. Love you xo' ..well alright then, he grabs an apple and goes up stairs deliberately, flopping down onto his bed.

"Marcel, honey?" Anne, Marcel's mum calls from downstairs, he wakes up to the smell of food and his half-eaten apple sitting beside him, groggily he gets out of bed and trudges down the steps "hey mum" he says, rubbing his eyes, Anne smiles "hi sweetie, how was school?" great, I just almost got my ass beat,for the third day this week. "good" Marcel lies.