★Chapter One • Flora's Secret★

I was walking quickly and quietly across the dirty floor of the old inn. I heard a very familiar voice. A voice of an old friend. No one goes to this inn for sleep, only transportation, so if that was the voice of who I think, I'm set.

I peeked out from behind a wall, not trying to hard to hide myself. "Yes, yes. I know that people come here to look for a way to elsewhere. I want to know if you know of anyone who ain't got no particular destination." My eyes widened at the sight of a one Malcolm Reynolds talking to the innkeeper.

"Well there a be one tiny little woman. Blonde curly hair, eyes like the sky on a rainy day, small as can be, curvy just right, not a stick but a real woman." The man kept describing me to Mal, looking as if he's talking about a meal. "Yeah, alright. Where can I find this little miss?" Mal asked, bored of this conversation.

"Don't rightly know if she'd willing go with ya, but she seems eager to leave. Iffen ya wantin' to find her I'd suggest the library. Spends lotta time looking at books. Answers to Flora." Innkeeper shrugged. As Mal turned to walk my way, his body tensed at the sound of my name. I scurried back to the seat I had occupied in the library until I had heard Mal's voice.

I faced the wall and buried my face in a book as if I had been reading. Just in time too. "Pardon me miss." I heard Mal say as he tapped me on the shoulder. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Howdy Sarge." I smiled, slowly turning to look at him. His face contorted into one of pure shock. "Wo De Tian A ¹." Mal said, his voice barely above a whisper. I literally dove into his arms, squeezing him tightly.

=+=

As soon as I let go of him I quickly gathered my belongings and we made our way to his ship, Serenity. We walked that way in a comfortable silence. Mal and I knew each other long enough for words to not be necessary. As soon as the firefly class ship was in sight, my breath was taken away. Reminded me a lot of Mal. No wonder he loved it.

"Real shiny Sarge. She's perfect." I grinned from ear to ear. "Zoë, Wash!" Mal called as soon as we stepped foot onto Serenity. I bit my lip to hold back a laugh as an over excited Wash jumped over the railings from the floor above and into my arms as soon as he saw me.

Zoë just stood where Wash had jumped from, a small smile playing at her lips. A sloppy kiss was placed on my cheek by a giddy Wash as Zoë walked down the stairs. "Yuck!" I pretended to be disgusted, wiping at the cheek he kissed as more people joined us.

Wash was pulled off of me by Zoë, just for her to hug me just as tightly as Wash had. "She's got the sky in her eyes. She's touched stars." A small girl mumbled loudly. She was around my height with dark hair. I pulled away from Zoë to look at the girl.

A well dressed man stood in front of the girl. They looked like siblings. I smiled gently at them. "I'm Flora." I said quietly, more to the girl than the man. She reminded me of the reason I'm traveling.

"That's River and her older brother, the good doc Simon." Mal stated, placing a hand on my shoulder. "River is a pretty name." I whispered, wide eyed. The girl just smiled at me.

I heard someone clearing their throat. I turned towards the sound and saw a beautiful woman with dark hair and good posture. "My name is Inara." The woman smiled, it seemed strained. "Flora." I nodded, grinning. "Flora is like my sister. Known her since we were little, playing in the dirt and such. Engaged to a good man last I heard." Mal tripped over his tongue, obviously having a thing for this beauty.

I stiffened at the mentioned of the engagement. The three that were like my siblings were the only ones to notice. Inara just nodded, her mouth in a thin smile. "I'm Kaylee. I keep Serenity afloat." I was approached by woman with brown hair and engine grease smeared on her face.

"She's gorgeous." I smiled at the friendly looking brunette, who returned a smile even the stars would be jealous of. "The woman loves her family, new and old." River stated, sitting under the railing from the floor above. I didn't even notice she had moved.

I just nodded, catching sight of a dark skinned religious man with snow white hair. He looked so wise and his smile actually reached his eyes. I turned to him and offered my hand. "My name is Flora." I tilted my head. Never seen a shepherd this close to Mal. "Shepherd Book." The older man replied, shaking my hand firmly.
"The woman is pleasantly surprised." River commentated as her brother went to shush her.

I just continued scanning the area to see if I missed anyone. I had. My lips twitched into a smile as I saw a tall, burly man staring at me from the floor above. "The lamb found the beast." River giggled, getting up and skipping off, Simon hot on her heals.

=+=

After Mal had introduced me to Jayne I wondered around the ship, no real destination. I had found myself out in the kitchen. I had always loved cooking. "Now Flora, I'm wanting to know what you're doing traveling." Mal walked in, watching me eye up the kitchen. "You honestly don't want to know." I whispered softly. Mal heard me though. He always does.

"Come on, Flora. Tell me." Mal smiled, sitting at the table. "It's complicated in a way." I tried to shrug it off. "Now Flora, you've never been one to keep secrets and it's been a good five years since I've heard from ya." He pestered, pulling me by my wrist towards the table. I quietly sat beside him, looking down at the table. "Thomas is dead." I whispered about my late husband.

-

¹Wo De Tian A- Dear God in heaven